The rate of change in the magnetic field linkage in a coil

In summary, the rate of change of magnetic flux linkage with a coil rotating in a uniform magnetic field equals zero when the plane of the coil is perpendicular to the magnetic field.
Asmaa Mohammad
Hi,
I would appreciate it if someone explains the difference between these two phases regarding a coil rotates in a uniform magnetic field.
1. The rate with which the coil intercepts the lines of magnetic field in the dynamo is maximum when the plane of the coil is parallel to the lines of the magnetic flux.

2. The rate of change of magnetic flux linkage with a coil rotating in a uniform magnetic field equals zero when the plane of the coil is parallel to the magnetic field.

Why in first case we had maximum value of the ratio and in the second case we get zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not specific to magnetic flux. Any time you have a maximum of any smooth function the derivative is zero.

Likes cnh1995
Sorry, but I can't say that I understood clearly, please give me more explanation, and let's keep far away from the mathematical point of view.

Asmaa Mohammad said:
let's keep far away from the mathematical point of view.
I can't do that. The answer to your question is inherently mathematical. I can explain the math further, but I cannot keep away from it.

Last edited:
Asmaa Mohammad said:
The rate of change of magnetic flux linkage with a coil rotating in a uniform magnetic field equals zero when the plane of the coil is parallel to the magnetic field.
This is incorrect. See the diagram I posted in a recent thread of yours about the same topic.

Dale said:
I can't do that. The answer to your question is inherently mathematical. I can explain the math further, but I cannot keep away from it.
Oh, ok, let's see how will be this.

cnh1995 said:
This is incorrect. See the diagram I posted in a recent thread of yours about the same topic.
Yes, I remember the point we discussed about the flux linkage to the coil.
We said the flux through the coil is zero when it is parallel, right?

Asmaa Mohammad said:
Yes, I remember the point we discussed about the flux linkage to the coil.
We said the flux through the coil is zero when it is parallel, right?
Right.

Ok then, why phrase 2 is incorrect?

Asmaa Mohammad said:
Ok then, why phrase 2 is incorrect?
Rate of change of flux is maximum when the flux linkage is zero.

cnh1995 said:
Rate of change of flux is maximum when the flux linkage is zero.
How is this?

Asmaa Mohammad said:
How is this?
What is the angle between velocity of the conductor and the magnetic field when the loop is parallel to the magnetic field?

cnh1995 said:
What is the angle between velocity of the conductor and the magnetic field when the loop is parallel to the magnetic field?
it will be 90 degrees.

Asmaa Mohammad said:
it will be 90 degrees.
Yes. So what is the motional emf induced in the conductor? How will it vary with respect to this angle?

cnh1995 said:
Yes. So what is the motional emf induced in the conductor? How will it vary with respect to this angle?
It will be maximum when the angle is 90 degrees.
When the angle decreases the motional emf will decrease too until it becomes zero when the angle between the velocity and the field lines is zero.

Asmaa Mohammad said:
It will be maximum when the angle is 90 degrees.
When the angle decreases the motional emf will decrease too until it becomes zero when the angle between the velocity and the field lines is zero.
Right. This is why phrase 2 is incorrect.

cnh1995 said:
Right. This is why phrase 2 is incorrect.
OK, and what about phrase 1?

Asmaa Mohammad said:
OK, and what about phrase 1?
It is correct. In fact, the rate at which the conductor intercepts magnetic field lines is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux associated with the loop. The physical situation in both the phrases is same but they contradict each other. Only one of them can be true, and that is phrase 1.

cnh1995 said:
It is correct. In fact, the rate at which the conductor intercepts magnetic field lines is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux associated with the loop. The physical situation in both the phrases is same but they contradict each other. Only one of them can be true, and that is phrase 1.
OK, I think I started to understand.
And to make the second phrase correct, we say:
"The rate of change of magnetic flux linkage with a coil rotating in a uniform magnetic field equals zero when the plane of the coil is perpendicular to the magnetic field."
Is this correct?

Asmaa Mohammad said:
OK, I think I started to understand.
And to make the second phrase correct, we say:
"The rate of change of magnetic flux linkage with a coil rotating in a uniform magnetic field equals zero when the plane of the coil is perpendicular to the magnetic field."
Is this correct?
Yes.
Emf is proportional to the rate of change of flux.
If flux linkage is sinusoidal, the emf is co-sinusoidal (derivative of sine). This is why when flux linkage is zero, emf is maximum and when flux linkage is maximum, emf is zero.

Likes Asmaa Mohammad

What is the rate of change in the magnetic field linkage in a coil?

The rate of change in the magnetic field linkage in a coil refers to the speed at which the magnetic field passing through the coil changes. It is measured in units of webers per second (Wb/s) or teslas per second (T/s).

How is the rate of change in the magnetic field linkage in a coil calculated?

The rate of change in the magnetic field linkage in a coil is calculated by dividing the change in magnetic flux by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation ΔΦ/Δt.

What factors affect the rate of change in the magnetic field linkage in a coil?

The rate of change in the magnetic field linkage in a coil can be affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, and the speed at which the magnetic field is changing. Additionally, the material of the coil and any external magnetic fields can also impact the rate of change.

Why is the rate of change in the magnetic field linkage in a coil important?

The rate of change in the magnetic field linkage in a coil is an important concept in electromagnetism and is used to understand the behavior of electromagnetic devices such as motors and generators. It also plays a role in the study of electromagnetic induction and can help determine the amount of voltage induced in a coil.

How can the rate of change in the magnetic field linkage in a coil be measured?

The rate of change in the magnetic field linkage in a coil can be measured using a variety of devices such as a flux meter or a digital multimeter. These tools can measure the change in magnetic flux and time, allowing for the calculation of the rate of change.