Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Reality Of Being A Human Shield

1. Jun 8, 2004 #1
    From;
    http://wspg.blogspot.com/

“Public Forum - Donna Mulhearn: Life in Occupied Iraq
    Monday June 14th – 7pm
    Rooty Hill Uniting Church
    86 Rooty Hill Rd North, Rooty Hill

After living through the war on Iraq as a human shield, and returning to work with orphaned kids, Donna Mulhearn gives a unique, personal account of life in Iraq under occupation.

Details: 0404 273 313 – timothy.k.vollmer@uts.edu.au – wspg.blogspot.com

Donna Mulhearn travelled to Iraq in early 2003 as part of an international team of human shields, to protect humanitarian and civilian targets such as hospitals, food supplies and basic services from attack during the US invasion.

She saw first hand the “shock and awe” campaign of US bombing, she lived through the fall of Saddam, and she experienced the rioting and lawlessness that occurred as the police and military dissolved.

Several months later Donna returned to the war-ravaged country to conduct humanitarian work for the people she had fallen in love with. She worked tirelessly with a team of international volunteers to set up a home for many of Bagdad’s orphans, the silent casualties of two wars and thirteen years of sanctions.

Donna travelled to many parts of the country, carrying medical supplies to areas accessible only to westerners. She experienced first hand the uprising in Fallujah. She was taken hostage by Iraqi freedom fighters (Mujahadeen), and later released. She was fired upon by US snipers and she negotiated safe passage for refugees fleeing the fighting.

Her first hand experiences of everyday life in Iraq for ordinary Iraqi’s, are a unique and valuable insight into the real costs of war. Life for the children who have lost parents, the parents who have lost children, and families who have lost all their earthly possessions, give a new and unique insight missed by the mainstream media.

Donna understands and explains the reality of war, the consequences of violence, and the lasting scars left on the liberated people of Iraq.
    # posted by Tim Vollmer @ 11:35 PM”

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2004 #2
    so what does she have to say? i didn't see any links to that.

4. Jun 9, 2004 #3

kat

"carrying medical supplies to areas accessible only to westerners"
    This strikes me as an odd statement, what areas in Iraq are only accessible to westerners?

5. Jun 9, 2004 #4
    Perhaps those places guarded by US troops who open fire with machine guns on any unidentified vehicle? Does anyone remember that van full of women and kids they slaughtered?

6. Jun 9, 2004 #5

kat

hmmm I don't think that would be what they were referring to as that was an area accessible to them, had they slowed and then stopped for the roadblock. At any rate, I was looking for specific locations, not more of your inane hyperbole.

7. Jun 9, 2004 #6
    Okay, what Kat is conventiently forgetting - again - is that the van in question did not slow and stop for the invading military force because that invading military force was infamous for doing such things. In the preceding days, several car-loads of innocent civilians had been killed. They were justifiably terrified of the American soldiers. In other words, Kat is saying that the middle of the jungle is perfectly accessible to her, provided she is willing to wander carefully past Godzilla to get there.

8. Jun 9, 2004 #7

kat

riiight, more hyperbole...now, my question...which areas were only accessible by westerners?

9. Jun 9, 2004 #8

Yep. That van should have stopped like every other van did.
    Or perhaps the troops should have risked another bomb blast, after 2 had gone off at other checkpoints the couple of days before - killing troops, and news reporters.

10. Jun 9, 2004 #9
    Don't mean to derail this.
    So I ask that as well - what areas? I'm curious.

11. Jun 9, 2004 #10

It's even more odd as your read the subtle implications put forth by misleading speech, and vague assumptions. Simply incredible

The remainder, including some of the greatest self serving garbage I have ever read can be found here:
    http://www.countercurrents.org/iraq-dona250404.htm

12. Jun 9, 2004 #11

kat

*cough*
    Can you answer the question or not?

13. Jun 9, 2004 #12
    Baghdad

For Kat;
    http://www.omarmasry.net/Ny_times_new_iraq.htm
    "Many of the Westerners live in Baghdad, a city made a maze
    by newly erected, blast-resistant concrete walls, no-go
    areas that alter the geography of whole neighborhoods,
    rolls of razor wire placed by the Americans, and military
    checkpoints."

Now, I couldn't be stuffed looking for any more reference material for you (seeing you don't read it, let alone understand it).

HOWEVER, if you wish, list your questions, and I shall PERSONALLY get answers from Donna.

Want to take me up on that offer?
    I'm sure she will be more than pleased to strongly rebuke your utter crap...

14. Jun 10, 2004 #13

kat

LOL...LOL...what crap? I JUST want to know what area she's speaking about..LOL
    Your conspiracy crap is effecting yoru ability to carry on an effective discussion.

15. Jun 10, 2004 #14
    When I attend the Forum, I shall ask her for you.

Satisfied?

16. Jun 10, 2004 #15

That is a personal attack. You can and will be banned for those actions.

17. Jun 10, 2004 #16
    The areas restricted were ALL areas under US armed guard.

The van did not slow and stop at teh checkpoint. This has already been covered, as has the reason for it, but apparently someone just couldn't read. Scroll up and try again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?