DrStupid said:
This equation is part of the derivation. If it is not consistent with the result than there would be an error in the calculation. Do you see such an error?
Well, I would say that the force on the rocket is
(1) [itex]F_R = -\dot{m}_F\ v_{rel}[/itex]
rather than
(2) [itex]\tilde{F}_R = -\dot{m}_F\ v_F[/itex]
And I would also say that
(3) [itex]F = m\ \dot{v}[/itex]
rather than
(4) [itex]F = m\ \dot{v} + \dot{m}\ v[/itex]
Interestingly, in this case, if you assume (1) and (3), (which I do), you get the same equations of motion as if you assume (2) and (4) (which you do):
[itex]F_R = m_R\ \dot{v}_R[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow -\dot{m}_F\ v_{rel} = m_R\ \dot{v}_R[/itex]
versus
[itex]\tilde{F}_R = m_R\ \dot{v}_R + \dot{m}_R\ v_R[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow -\dot{m}_F\ v_F = m_R\ \dot{v}_R + \dot{m}_R\ v_R[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow -\dot{m}_F\ v_F - \dot{m}_R\ v_R = m_R\ \dot{v}_R[/itex]
Since [itex]\dot{m}_R = -\dot{m}_F[/itex] and [itex]v_F = v_R + v_{rel}[/itex], the expression [itex]-\dot{m}_F\ v_F - \dot{m}_R\ v_R[/itex] is equal to [itex]-\dot{m}_F\ v_R[/itex]
So the question is: Is this two different ways of thinking about things, equally legitimate, or is it a matter of cancelling errors?