Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The speed of light in a Schwarzschild space-time

1. Feb 23, 2004 #1

hellfire

Science Advisor

I have seen a derivation of the dependence of the speed of light inside a Schwarschild space-time: c depends on the radial position (r), but a light ray which moves radially has a different dependence on r as a light ray which moves tangentially. My question is whether such an effect may be measurable somehow in a local reference frame and why did not the Michelson-Morley experiement record such an effect. Sorry if this question was already answered here, but after a short search I didn’t find any clear answer.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2004 #2

DW

Yes the remote observer variance in the vacuum speed of light has been observed from signals relayed from other planets, but this is a remote observer effect. The local vacuum speed of light is the invariant c and so a local experiment like their interferometer wouldn't observe it.

4. Feb 24, 2004 #3

hellfire

Science Advisor

Thanks for your answer, it seams to be a trivial point, but I am afraid I still do not get this. May be you can help me. Let’s take the derivation of for a radial light ray for example.

For light ds^2 = 0.

In a Schwarschild space-time:
    0 = (1-2m/r)(dt)^2 – (1-2m/r)^-1 (dr)^2
    (the angular components vanish, since it moves only radially)

therefore:
    (dr/dt)^2 = (1-2m/r)^2

and with:
    dr/dt = c_r

one obtains:
    c_r = 1 - 2m/r

Where is here the step with the assumption that this is for the remote observer only and not inside a local frame?

5. Feb 24, 2004 #4

DW

You made it prior to your second equation when you chose to express ds^2 in terms of Schwarzschild coordinates. Those coordinates are appropriate for a remote observer's reconing.

6. Feb 24, 2004 #5

hellfire

Science Advisor

I see. Are there other coordinates which are not appropiate for remote observers? Could you give me a hint or a link which explains which are the criteria to recognize that Schwarzschild coordinates are appropiate for remote observers? Regards.

7. Feb 24, 2004 #6

DW

Yes infinitely many, take your pick. A well know class of coordinates that are not the remote observers coordinates are Kruskal-Szekeres coordinates for example.

Look at the limit as r goes to infinity and see that the metric approaches that of special relativity except transformed to spherical coordinates. That is what tells you that the coordinates are representative of a remote observer's appropriate choice.

8. Feb 25, 2004 #7

hellfire

Science Advisor

Excellent, this was of great help. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?