The surface of the Earth as a reference frame

In summary: This is because the Coriolis force affects the size and shape of the trains as they move across the tracks.In summary, Dr. Lewin explains that although the centripetal acceleration experienced on Earth is small, it can be ignored because it is relative to an inertial reference frame. If the centripetal acceleration were much larger, the frame would be inertial as well.
PFuser1232

At about 05.30, Dr. Lewin makes a small calculation to find the centripetal acceleration one experiences due to Earth's spin (at the equator). He then says that because of how small the magnitude of this acceleration is, we could consider the Earth's surface to be an inertial reference frame (approximately). My question is, what if the centripetal acceleration were much larger? Wouldn't the frame be (approximately) inertial as well? For instance, two people standing somewhere near the equator would have the same acceleration relative to the centre of the Earth, and so they would be stationary relative to one another. Is there something I'm not getting right? I'm actually quite confused about the definition of an inertial reference frame; "a frame that is not accelerating", not accelerating relative to what?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think he means that the variation in centripetal acceleration across the globe is small enough to be ignored. Although, I don't see how that makes the Earth an Inertial reference frame.

Unless, of course, you consider gravity a real force. That makes sense.

Last edited:
MohammedRady97 said:

At about 05.30, Dr. Lewin makes a small calculation to find the centripetal acceleration one experiences due to Earth's spin (at the equator). He then says that because of how small the magnitude of this acceleration is, we could consider the Earth's surface to be an inertial reference frame (approximately). My question is, what if the centripetal acceleration were much larger? Wouldn't the frame be (approximately) inertial as well? For instance, two people standing somewhere near the equator would have the same acceleration relative to the centre of the Earth, and so they would be stationary relative to one another. Is there something I'm not getting right? I'm actually quite confused about the definition of an inertial reference frame; "a frame that is not accelerating", not accelerating relative to what?

In a rotating frame (accelerating) you will begin to see "mysterious" forces that require an explanation. If you and a friend tried to play catch with a ball on a quickly rotating platform, you would see odd, curving trajectories of the ball -- the origin of these forces is due to the fact that you are on a rotating frame. You and your friend can play catch with a ball on the surface of the earth, without compensating for these forces.

When I took a classical mechanics course in college, the professor remarked that although things like the Coriolis force are small (at our scael) for us on the earth, they give rise to measurable effects at our scale. The example he provided was the fact that N-S train tracks show different patterns of wear, when compared with E-W train tracks.

1. What is the surface of the Earth used as a reference frame for?

The surface of the Earth is commonly used as a reference frame in scientific research and navigation. It provides a fixed point of reference for measuring distances, positions, and movements of objects on or above the Earth's surface.

2. How is the Earth's surface used as a reference frame in physics?

In physics, the Earth's surface is often used as a reference frame to measure motion and forces. For example, the Earth's rotation is used as a reference for defining units of time, and the Earth's gravity is often used as a reference for measuring weight and mass.

3. Is the Earth's surface an inertial reference frame?

No, the Earth's surface is not an inertial reference frame. This means that objects on the surface of the Earth experience various accelerations due to the Earth's rotation and its orbit around the sun. However, for most practical purposes, the Earth's surface can be considered as an inertial reference frame.

4. How does the Earth's surface affect satellite orbits?

The Earth's surface can affect satellite orbits in several ways. The Earth's rotation causes the satellites to appear to move in a circular path from the perspective of an observer on the ground. Additionally, the Earth's gravity can affect the orbit of a satellite, causing it to either speed up or slow down.

5. Can the Earth's surface be used as a reference frame in space?

Yes, the Earth's surface can be used as a reference frame in space. This is because the Earth's surface provides a fixed point of reference for measuring the position and movement of objects in space. However, as an object moves further away from the Earth, other reference frames may need to be used to accurately measure its position and movement.