The Trouble with Normal Subgroups

• Thread starter quantumdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Normal
In summary, the Trouble with Normal Subgroups is that it is difficult to find subgroups that are not normal in their respective groups.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
[SOLVED] The Trouble with Normal Subgroups

Homework Statement

Find an example of a group [itex]G[/itex] and subgroups [itex]H[/itex] and [itex]K[/itex] such that [itex]H[/itex] is normal in [itex]K[/itex], [itex]K[/itex] is normal in [itex]G[/itex], but [itex]H[/itex] is not normal in [itex]G[/itex].

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have many attempts. :grumpy:

In the beginning I was fixated on groups of orders 8 and 16, because I figured it would be easy to find nested subgroups with index 2 (that is, [itex][G:K] =2[/itex] and [itex][K:H]=2[/itex]). Finding such groups is fairly easy, but finding them with [itex]H[/itex] not normal in [itex]G[/itex] has proved elusive.

Here are my false starts.

Attempt 1:
[itex]G=D_8[/itex], the dihedral group of order 8
[itex]K=<b>[/itex], the subgroup of order 4 generated by [itex]b[/itex]
[itex]H=<b^2>[/itex], the subgroup of order 2 generated by [itex]b^2[/itex]

Result: No good, [itex]H[/itex] is normal in [itex]G[/itex]

Attempt 2:
[itex]G=Q_8[/itex], the quaternionic group of order 8
[itex]K=\left<b\right>[/itex]
[itex]H=\left<b^2\right>[/itex]

I didn't even bother finishing this one. It became obvious that this attempt would fail for the same reason that the last one failed.

Attempt 3:
Here's where I tried to be more clever.

[itex]G=GL_2\left(\mathbb{Z}_3\right)[/itex]
[itex]K=SL_2\left(\mathbb{Z}_3\right)[/itex]
[itex]H=[/itex] the subgroup generated by the elements of order 4 in [itex]K[/itex] (this is a subgroup of order 8).

Once again, [itex]H[/itex] is normal in both [itex]K[/itex] and [itex]G[/itex].

I also did some goofing around with [itex]S_n[/itex] and [itex]A_n[/itex], but to no avail.

Little help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try the dihedral group with order 8.

That was my first attempt. It didn't work.

Oh brother! I've got it. Like a dummy I was fixated on cyclic subgroups. I just considered a subgroup with two generators, and I got it.

FYI, [itex]\left<ab^2\right>[/itex] is normal in [itex]D_8[/itex], [itex]\left<a,b^2\right>[/itex] is normal in [itex]\left<ab^2\right>[/itex], but [itex]\left<ab^2\right>[/itex] is not normal in [itex]D_8[/itex], as [itex]b^{-1}ab^2b=abb^3=ab^4=a[/itex], which is not in [itex]\left<ab^2\right>[/itex].

So it was [itex]D_8[/itex] all along...

1. What is a normal subgroup?

A normal subgroup is a subgroup of a group that is invariant under conjugation by elements of the larger group. This means that for any element in the normal subgroup, conjugating it by any element in the larger group will result in another element of the normal subgroup.

2. How is a normal subgroup different from a regular subgroup?

A regular subgroup is not necessarily invariant under conjugation, meaning that conjugating an element in the subgroup may result in an element outside of the subgroup. A normal subgroup, on the other hand, is always invariant under conjugation.

3. Why is the concept of normal subgroups important?

Normal subgroups play a crucial role in group theory as they allow for the construction of quotient groups, which are groups formed by dividing a larger group by a normal subgroup. This concept is important in many areas of mathematics, including algebra, geometry, and topology.

4. How do you determine if a subgroup is normal?

To determine if a subgroup is normal, you can use the definition of normal subgroups and check if the subgroup is invariant under conjugation by all elements in the larger group. Additionally, there are certain criteria, such as the normal subgroup test, that can be used to determine normality.

5. Can a group have more than one normal subgroup?

Yes, a group can have multiple normal subgroups. In fact, all groups have at least two normal subgroups: the trivial subgroup, which contains only the identity element, and the entire group itself. In some cases, a group may have a finite number of normal subgroups, while in others it may have an infinite number.