How Is Velocity Calculated When a Rod Falls onto a Mass Connected by a Spring?

In summary: That leads to a second differential equation. I'm pretty sure you need the chain to be of non-zero thickness to make this problem work at all. It also makes it easier to find the total mass of chain on the mass at time t. That last quantity, plus the two differential equations, should be enough to solve for u(t).In summary, the conversation involves finding the velocity of a mass-rod system when the top of the rod falls into a mass M, which is attached with a string k. The problem is complicated by the fact that the rod is divided into small segments and the collisions are inelastic. Possible solutions involve using approximations and solving equations by considering the forces and acceleration of the
Hamal_Arietis

Homework Statement

The uniform rod mass m, length L falling into mass M. M is attacked with string k. Find the velocity u of system when the top of rod falling into M.
3226758320_835140039_574_574.jpg

Homework Equations

I find this equation, but it seems wrong:
Chose origin at equilibrium position.
The rod has been divided into small segments, each of length has ##dm=\frac{m}{L}dy##
At the time t, the mass M is effected of force F, with F is:
+ The total force of gravitation and the elastic force ##F_1=ky##(magnitude)
+ The change of momentum of dm. It equals ##F_2=\dfrac{dp'}{dt}=v\dfrac{dm}{dt}=v\dfrac{m}{L}\dfrac{dy}{dt}=v^2\dfrac{m}{L}## with v is the velocity when dm touches M
So ##F=-F_1+F_2=-ky+v^2\dfrac{m}{L}##
That force equals momentum changes with respect to time of system (M+dm)
$$ F=\frac{dp}{dt}$$
$$\Leftrightarrow -ky+v^2\frac{m}{L}=u\frac{dm}{dt}+(M+dm)\frac{du}{dt}=u\frac{dm}{dt}+M\frac{du}{dt}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Where are wrong ? I don't have solution.
v is the velocity when dm touches M. Each of collision, String changes so I can't find v.
This way seems difficult

Physics news on Phys.org
Hamal_Arietis said:
Find the velocity u of system when the top of rod falling into M.

This last sentence makes no sense to me. I understand that your system is the mass-spring system. Do you want to find the velocity just after the rod hits the mass M?

Likes Hamal_Arietis
This system is mass- rod. the velocity u at the time after the total length of the rod fall into mass M

Hamal_Arietis said:
This system is mass- rod. the velocity u at the time after the total length of the rod fall into mass M
I do not understand the set-up.
What do you mean by the rod "falling into" M? Does it penetrate it? Does it fall over? If the rod remains vertical then what is the significance of its being a rod, not a point mass?
You write that M is attached (I assume you mean attached, not attacked) with 'string' k, but you show a spring under it, not a string.

Likes Hamal_Arietis
Another question:

If the rod is falling (tipping if it's initially in contact with M), is there friction between the rod and mass M? Does the point of contact slide along the surface of mass M?

I can imagine a scenario where the mass rises as it rotates the rod and increases its angular rotation rate.

Likes Hamal_Arietis
Looking at the attempt at a solution in the OP, maybe "rod" should be "chain".

Last edited:
Likes Hamal_Arietis
TSny said:
Looking at the attempt at a solution in the OP, maybe "rod" should be "chain".
Yes, that does seem like the interpretation, but that makes it quite a nasty problem. Conservation of energy cannot be used because of the way the chain coalesces into M; conservation of momentum cannot be used because of the way the normal reaction from the ground varies.
I get an equation of the form ##At^2+Bs+C\ddot s+D(s\ddot s+{\dot s}^2)=0##.

Likes Hamal_Arietis
haruspex said:
Yes, that does seem like the interpretation, but that makes it quite a nasty problem. Conservation of energy cannot be used because of the way the chain coalesces into M; conservation of momentum cannot be used because of the way the normal reaction from the ground varies.
I agree.
I get an equation of the same form as you except I get two additional terms involving time explicitly:

##At^2+Bs+C\ddot s+D(s\ddot s+{\dot s}^2) +Et \dot s + F t^2 \ddot s = 0##

I could be doing something wrong. Anyway, it's too complicated to deal with.

If m << M, then you could keep only terms in the differential equation that are of first order in certain small quantities. I think you then get an equation with just your first three terms: ##At^2+Bs+C\ddot s = 0##, which we can solve. But of course there's no mention of any approximation in the statement of the problem.

Likes Hamal_Arietis
Sorry about my words mistake, it is a rope :(( All collisions are inelastic collisions. I think we need use some approximations. If we seems m<<M
+ Firstly, pretermit the change coordinates of M so we can use ##v=\frac{1}{2}gt^2## of dm
+ Secondly, pretermit elastic force because the change coordinates very small.
That is the way of my thinking. Maybe it 's wrong
Thanks for all helping.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
How you get this equation?

Use this approximate I make solution:
Firstly, we find the force when ##dm_i## impact M, this force include:
+ The gravity of falled part.
+ The chage of momentum of dm
So we have:
$$F_i=F_1+F_2=\frac{m}{L}yg+v\frac{dm}{dt}=\frac{3m}{L}yg=\frac{3m}{2L}g^2t^2$$
The acceleration at time t:
$$a=\frac{F_i}{M+\dfrac{m}Ly}=\frac{\dfrac{3m}{2L}g^2t^2}{M+\dfrac{m}{2L}gt^2}=\frac{du}{dt}$$
$$\Leftrightarrow \frac{u}{g}= \int^{\sqrt{\dfrac{2L}{g}}}_0 \frac{3t^2}{\dfrac{2ML}{mg}+t^2}dt$$
Let ##a=\sqrt{\dfrac{2ML}{mg}}##
$$\Leftrightarrow \frac{u}{g} =3\int^{\sqrt{\dfrac{2L}{g}}}_0 dt-3a^2\int^{\sqrt{\dfrac{2L}{g}}}_0 \frac{dt}{a^2+t^2}$$
$$ \Leftrightarrow \frac{u}{g} =3\sqrt{\dfrac{2L}{g}}-3a\arctan{\frac{t}{a}}$$
$$\Leftrightarrow \frac{u}{g}=3\sqrt{\dfrac{2L}{g}}-3\sqrt{\dfrac{2ML}{mg}}\arctan{\sqrt{\frac{m}{M}}}$$

Is right?

Last edited:
Hamal_Arietis said:
How you get this equation?
Similarly to the way you got yours, but you made a few mistakes.
First, you mentioned gravity but it does not appear in your equation.
Secondly, there is a bit of a trap when working with changing masses. dp/dt=mdv/dt+vdm/dt is not really valid. That would apply if a mass could magically change without any inflow or outflow of material. In the present case, the mass change comes from inflow, so it comes with its own momentum. Let's break this down a bit. M is falling at speed u, the chain falling with relative speed v. In time dt, extra mass vρdt arrives at speed u+v, adding vρdt(u+v) to the total momentum. Ignoring gravity and the spring, that would take the accumulated mass to speed u+du:
vρdt(u+v)+mu=(m+ρdt)(u+du).
Discarding second order small terms, v2ρdt=mdu. There is no udm term.

Once you have the right equation, think about the speed of the top of the chain at time t. That should allow you to write the relationship between u and v. Similarly, if you let s be the length of the chain that has already settled on the mass (this gave me the simplest formulation) you can relate that to the distance the spring has been compressed.

Likes Hamal_Arietis
haruspex said:
First, you mentioned gravity but it does not appear in your equation.
No, At equilibrium position, ##k\Delta l=Mg##
So if M move, the force total of gravity and elastic force is F=ky because I chose origin at equilibrium position.

haruspex said:
Once you have the right equation, think about the speed of the top of the chain at time t. That should allow you to write the relationship between u and v. Similarly, if you let s be the length of the chain that has already settled on the mass (this gave me the simplest formulation) you can relate that to the distance the spring has been compressed.
It means:
##ky=\frac{m}{L}s##?
If this equation, I think that process will occur very slow. So finally the velocity of system is zero ?

Hamal_Arietis said:
No, At equilibrium position, kΔl=MgkΔl=Mgk\Delta l=Mg
So if M move, the force total of gravity and elastic force is F=ky because
Ok.
Hamal_Arietis said:
It means:
##ky=\frac{m}{L}s## ?
No. You first have to figure out where the top of the chain is at time t.

At time t, the coordinates of the top of the chain is ##y=L-\frac{1}{2}gt^2## so ##v=-gt## ? but how find distance the spring?

Hamal_Arietis said:
v=-gt ?
That depends whether you are defining v as the speed of the chain or its speed relative to M.

Hamal_Arietis said:
how find distance the spring
You know the position of the top of the chain at time t, and the original length, and how much chain (s) is collapsed onto M. That tells you the height M has fallen.

Likes Hamal_Arietis
I use in room reference frame. Let ##y_0## is the coordinates of the top of the chain so ##\ddot{y_0}=-g##
We have (because y<0) : $$-y=L-s-y_0\Rightarrow \dot{s}+\dot{y_0}=\dot{y}\Rightarrow -g+\ddot{s}=\ddot{y}$$
And $$F=\frac{dp}{dt}$$
$$\Leftrightarrow k(\frac{1}{2}gt^2-s)-\frac{m}{L} 2g(L-y_0)=M(\ddot{s}+g)$$
$$\Leftrightarrow (\frac{k}{2}g-g^2\frac{m}{L})t^2-ks-M\ddot{s}+(2m+M)g=0$$
This is different with your equation but this is the same form with:
TSny said:
I think you then get an equation with just your first three terms: ##At^2+Bs+C\ddot s = 0##, which we can solve. But of course there's no mention of any approximation in the statement of the problem.

Hamal_Arietis said:
Use this approximate I make solution:
Firstly, we find the force when ##dm_i## impact M, this force include:
+ The gravity of falled part.
+ The chage of momentum of dm
So we have:
$$F_i=F_1+F_2=\frac{m}{L}yg+v\frac{dm}{dt}=\frac{3m}{L}yg=\frac{3m}{2L}g^2t^2$$
The acceleration at time t:
$$a=\frac{F_i}{M+\dfrac{m}Ly}=\frac{\dfrac{3m}{2L}g^2t^2}{M+\dfrac{m}{2L}gt^2}=\frac{du}{dt}$$
$$\Leftrightarrow \frac{u}{g}= \int^{\sqrt{\dfrac{2L}{g}}}_0 \frac{3t^2}{\dfrac{2ML}{mg}+t^2}dt$$
Let ##a=\sqrt{\dfrac{2ML}{mg}}##
$$\Leftrightarrow \frac{u}{g} =3\int^{\sqrt{\dfrac{2L}{g}}}_0 dt-3a^2\int^{\sqrt{\dfrac{2L}{g}}}_0 \frac{dt}{a^2+t^2}$$
$$ \Leftrightarrow \frac{u}{g} =3\sqrt{\dfrac{2L}{g}}-3a\arctan{\frac{t}{a}}$$
$$\Leftrightarrow \frac{u}{g}=3\sqrt{\dfrac{2L}{g}}-3\sqrt{\dfrac{2ML}{mg}}\arctan{\sqrt{\frac{m}{M}}}$$

Is right?
How about that ?

haruspex said:
if you let s be the length of the chain that has already settled on the mass (this gave me the simplest formulation) ...
OK, I see how you are defining ##s##. I was thinking ##s## was the displacement of M. When I change variables to your ##s##, my extra terms with ##t## cancel out. That's nice!

But I do get an additional constant term. Shouldn't ##\ddot s## be nonzero at ##t = 0##?
[EDIT: But then I could just redefine ##s## by a constant shift and get rid of the additional constant term. So, I finally agree with your equation!]

Last edited:
How to slove this problem?

Hamal_Arietis said:
How about that ?
I'm not ignoring you, just struggling to follow your algebra. Some of your variable definitions are unclear. What is y0 exactly? Which way is it measured and from where? The 0 suffix would normally mean initial position, but you seem to be using it as a variable.
How are you using the m<<M approximation? What term are you omitting on that basis?
Where does the myg/L term come from? Shouldn't it be msg/L, s being the collapsed length of the chain? I thought y was the displacement of M.
You are defining v as the absolute velocity of the chain, right? If so, the change in velocity of dm is not v.
I have no idea how you get 3myg/L.

Sorry because some my variable definitions are unclear.
Use some approximations: m<<M and the falling-time's small, so I seem M doesn't move on process, just moves after the process finishes. The 3myg/L is the result I finded in book " A guild to physics problems". This is the solution:
3226859129_1066377745_574_574.jpg

Hamal_Arietis said:
Sorry because some my variable definitions are unclear.
Use some approximations: m<<M and the falling-time's small, so I seem M doesn't move on process, just moves after the process finishes. The 3myg/L is the result I finded in book " A guild to physics problems". This is the solution:
3226859129_1066377745_574_574.jpg
Ok, that's different from what you posted originally.
The scale spring is assumed to be very stiff, so the vertical movement of the scale pan can be ignored.
The mass of the scale pan becomes irrelevant. M here is the mass of the chain.

Likes Hamal_Arietis

What is the formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a uniform rod?

The moment of inertia, I, of a uniform rod with mass m and length L is given by the formula I = (1/12)mL^2.

How does the mass of a uniform rod affect its moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia of a uniform rod is directly proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass of the rod increases, its moment of inertia also increases.

How does the length of a uniform rod affect its moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia of a uniform rod is directly proportional to the square of its length. This means that as the length of the rod increases, its moment of inertia also increases at a faster rate.

What is the difference between a uniform rod and a non-uniform rod?

A uniform rod has a constant mass per unit length, while a non-uniform rod has varying mass per unit length. This means that the moment of inertia for a non-uniform rod cannot be calculated using the same formula as a uniform rod.

In what situations would the mass of a uniform rod need to be calculated?

The mass of a uniform rod may need to be calculated in situations where the moment of inertia or center of mass of the rod is needed for further calculations or experiments. It may also be needed for determining the stability or strength of a structure that includes the rod.