Understanding Malwarebytes: How to Prevent Files from Being Quarantined

• Thread starter mech-eng
  • Start date
In summary, Malwarebytes states that you don't need additional security software, only MalwareBytes. It also says that if your program is clean, it will not flag it. However, if your program is in the malware database, Malwarebytes will flag it.
mech-eng
Hi. I try to understand the use of Malwarebytes. How can I prevent Malwarebytes from putting some of files to its quarentine?

And what does "AV replacement" mean in the link?

https://www.malwarebytes.com/support/guides/mbam/

Thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
mech-eng said:
Hi. I try to understand the use of Malwarebytes. How can I prevent Malwarebytes from putting some of files to its quarentine?

And what does "AV replacement" mean in the link?

https://www.malwarebytes.com/support/guides/mbam/

Thank you.
AV = Anti-virus. It purports to be an all-in-one security solution, so there is no need to have AVG, McAfee, GData etc in addition to MalwareBytes.

StevieTNZ said:
AV = Anti-virus. It purports to be an all-in-one security solution, so there is no need to have AVG, McAfee, GData etc in addition to MalwareBytes.

Does this implies that Malwarebytes is better than them?

How can I prevent Malwarebytes from stopping some of my exe files to be installed?

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
Does this implies that Malwarebytes is better than them?

How can I prevent Malwarebytes from stopping some of my exe files to be installed?

Thank you.
It is their claim that you don't need additional security software, only MalwareBytes (though I believe you wouldn't get away with just using the free version).

What .exe's is the program blocking you from installing? If it is doing so, they must be suspicious and could cause issues with your computer.

But I rely on my program. So how can I exlude it?

Thank you.

Perhaps @Greg Bernhardt can help, as I don't use MalwareBytes at the moment.

mech-eng said:
But I rely on my program. So how can I exlude it?
Unless your program is malware, you needn't worry.

Yes, it is not malware and how can I recognize it as a non-malware to the malwarebytes?

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
Yes, it is not malware and how can I recognize it as a non-malware to the malwarebytes?
You don't need to. Unless your program is in it's malware database it won't be flagged.

Greg Bernhardt said:
You don't need to. Unless your program is in it's malware database it won't be flagged.

But I would like to try it. Malwarebytes has an exclude section. I add the program there but it didn't worked.

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
But I would like to try it. Malwarebytes has an exclude section. I add the program there but it didn't worked.

Thank you.
You only need to use the exclude section if your program you know is clean is flagged.

Is there any sleeping mode for this program?

The path is C:\Temp\is-Levels.tmp

But I checked for the path there isn't any in the Temp folder in C:

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
Is there any sleeping mode for this program?

The path is C:\Temp\is-Levels.tmp

But I checked for the path there isn't any in the Temp folder in C:

Thank you.
You can close malwarebytes from running in background.

If you can't install the .exe without MalwareBytes flagging it, or you placing the program in an 'exclude list', then its likely malware. What program are you trying to install? If its a cracked version of some paid software, we can't provide you with help installing it.

StevieTNZ said:
If you can't install the .exe without MalwareBytes flagging it, or you placing the program in an 'exclude list', then its likely malware. What program are you trying to install? If its a cracked version of some paid software, we can't provide you with help installing it.

No, it was a torrent client for some vids, mediaget. But I give up trying it.

Thank you.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Unless your program is malware, you needn't worry.
Not true at all, if by "worry" you mean "worry about the $%^#@$ anti-virus program disallowing your program". I have several executable that are my own code and Norton INSISTS that they are dangerous, which I know for sure they are not. Fortunately Norton has a fairly easy exception setup, but you have to catch it right when it disallows the program. EVERY time I get a new computer or have to reinstall Norton, I have to go through it again.

Norton deletes the EXE and if I don't catch it at the right time, I have to recompile and then watch for Norton flag the EXE for deletion. When I catch it, I can tell Norton to put the EXE back AND to create an exception for it.

mech-eng said:
No, it was a torrent client for some vids

And that couldn't possibly be real malware, right?

Likes CalcNerd
Vanadium 50 said:
And that couldn't possibly be real malware, right?

But a specified source, publisher is specified.

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
But a specified source, publisher is specified.

Thank you.
And naturally, software by a known publisher could never be infected by malware, right? I admire your optimism but not your grasp on reality.

Likes CalcNerd
phinds said:
And naturally, software by a known publisher could never be infected by malware, right? I admire your optimism but not your grasp on reality.

If an official brand do this, don't they get into a big trouble? And I scanned the exe file before everything seems secure.

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
If an official brand do this, don't they get into a big trouble? And I scanned the exe file before everything seems secure.

Thank you.
You are missing the point. I'm not suggesting that the publisher infected the program, I'm suggesting that it could get infected from other sources. I'm not saying that it HAS been infected, but it certainly could be. Do you think Microsoft distributes Internet Explorer with malware embedded in it? I don't. Do you know that Internet Explorer is a primary gateway for malware to infect your computer?

Likes Vanadium 50, Buffu, Evo and 1 other person
Mediaget is a valid software package, but it is often redistributed with malware and it flags as malware on several malware/antivirus applications, including MalwareBytes. MalwareBytes will not automatically remove this software unless it is actually infected. It will instead flag it for you to decide to either remove it or not remove it. So, if it is removing the executable, you can be reasonably certain that it's not in your best interests to stop it from removing the executable.

1. What is Malwarebytes and what does it do?

Malwarebytes is a software application designed to detect and remove malware, including viruses, spyware, adware, and ransomware. It also has real-time protection features to prevent future infections.

2. How does Malwarebytes differ from other antivirus programs?

Unlike traditional antivirus software that primarily uses signature-based detection, Malwarebytes uses a combination of behavior-based and signature-based methods to identify and remove malware. This allows it to catch even the most advanced and evasive threats.

3. Is Malwarebytes safe to use?

Yes, Malwarebytes is safe to use. It has been tested and certified by AV-TEST, an independent security testing institute, and has received numerous awards for its effectiveness in detecting and removing malware.

4. Can Malwarebytes run alongside other antivirus programs?

Yes, Malwarebytes can run alongside most antivirus programs without any conflicts. However, it is recommended to only have one real-time malware protection program active at a time to avoid performance issues.

5. What should I do if Malwarebytes detects a threat on my computer?

If Malwarebytes detects a threat on your computer, it will prompt you to take action, such as quarantining or removing the infected file. It is important to follow these prompts and allow Malwarebytes to remove the threat to ensure the safety of your computer.