Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Use of Malwarebytes

1. Mar 30, 2017 #1
    Hi. I try to understand the use of Malwarebytes. How can I prevent Malwarebytes from putting some of files to its quarentine?

And what does "AV replacement" mean in the link?

https://www.malwarebytes.com/support/guides/mbam/

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2017 #2
    AV = Anti-virus. It purports to be an all-in-one security solution, so there is no need to have AVG, McAfee, GData etc in addition to MalwareBytes.

4. Mar 30, 2017 #3
    Does this implies that Malwarebytes is better than them?

How can I prevent Malwarebytes from stopping some of my exe files to be installed?

Thank you.

5. Mar 30, 2017 #4
    It is their claim that you don't need additional security software, only MalwareBytes (though I believe you wouldn't get away with just using the free version).

What .exe's is the program blocking you from installing? If it is doing so, they must be suspicious and could cause issues with your computer.

6. Mar 30, 2017 #5
    But I rely on my program. So how can I exlude it?

Thank you.

7. Mar 30, 2017 #6
    Perhaps @Greg Bernhardt can help, as I don't use MalwareBytes at the moment.

8. Mar 30, 2017 #7
    Unless your program is malware, you needn't worry.

9. Mar 30, 2017 #8
    Yes, it is not malware and how can I recognize it as a non-malware to the malwarebytes?

Thank you.

10. Mar 30, 2017 #9
    You don't need to. Unless your program is in it's malware database it won't be flagged.

11. Mar 30, 2017 #10
    But I would like to try it. Malwarebytes has an exclude section. I add the program there but it didn't worked.

Thank you.

12. Mar 30, 2017 #11
    You only need to use the exclude section if your program you know is clean is flagged.

13. Mar 30, 2017 #12
    Is there any sleeping mode for this program?

The path is C:\Temp\is-Levels.tmp

But I checked for the path there isn't any in the Temp folder in C:

Thank you.

14. Mar 30, 2017 #13
    You can close malwarebytes from running in background.

15. Mar 30, 2017 #14
    If you can't install the .exe without MalwareBytes flagging it, or you placing the program in an 'exclude list', then its likely malware. What program are you trying to install? If its a cracked version of some paid software, we can't provide you with help installing it.

16. Mar 31, 2017 #15
    No, it was a torrent client for some vids, mediaget. But I give up trying it.

Thank you.

17. Mar 31, 2017 #16

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not true at all, if by "worry" you mean "worry about the $%^#@$ anti-virus program disallowing your program". I have several executable that are my own code and Norton INSISTS that they are dangerous, which I know for sure they are not. Fortunately Norton has a fairly easy exception setup, but you have to catch it right when it disallows the program. EVERY time I get a new computer or have to reinstall Norton, I have to go through it again.

Norton deletes the EXE and if I don't catch it at the right time, I have to recompile and then watch for Norton flag the EXE for deletion. When I catch it, I can tell Norton to put the EXE back AND to create an exception for it.

18. Mar 31, 2017 #17

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

And that couldn't possibly be real malware, right?

19. Mar 31, 2017 #18
    But a specified source, publisher is specified.

Thank you.

20. Mar 31, 2017 #19

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

And naturally, software by a known publisher could never be infected by malware, right? I admire your optimism but not your grasp on reality.

21. Mar 31, 2017 #20
    If an official brand do this, don't they get into a big trouble? And I scanned the exe file before everything seems secure.

Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted