Thermal energy intensity per unit volume

In summary: Why is this not happening?In summary, although Planck's law can't determine the total thermal energy emitted by a semi-transparent body, you can calculate the power per unit volume by relating the surface area to the volume.
Hypatio
I am trying to figure out what the total thermal energy emitted by completely transparent matter. It seems Planck's law can't do this because the thickness or geometry of the mass is not given, only it's surface area. The spectral radiance of a black body is given by Planck's law:

[itex] B_\nu=\frac{2h\nu^3}{c^2}\frac{1}{e^\frac{h\nu}{k_BT}-1}[/itex]

which has units of total power per unit area of the body, per unit solid angle, per unit frequency (W m-2 sr-1 Hz-1)

Now, how do I find the thermal energy emitted per unit volume? I thought I could just get rid of the unit solid angle by writing

[itex] B_\nu=\frac{8\pi h\nu^3}{c^2}\frac{1}{e^\frac{h\nu}{k_BT}-1}[/itex]

But I am still left with units of W m-2 Hz-1. Also, does Planck's law even matter for a transparent body, because a black body is completely absorbing? How else would you calculate the true amount of radiated thermal energy?

Science news on Phys.org
I am not sure what you mean by a completely transparent body radiating. Do you mean a body with an absorption coefficient of zero? If that was the case, it would not radiate at all.

Try relating the surface area to the volume. If you know the power per unit area and you know the geometry of the body you can work out the power per unit volume.

AM

Sorry, I understand Kirchoff's law now. However, I don't see how to make the emission coefficient volumetric--or why these coefficients are continually related to surfaces and not volumes, understanding how a black body behaves doesn't seem to tell you anything about the thermodynamics of semi-transparent media, because the third dimension should appear everywhere.

Also, I still don't understand the second suggestion. If I have a solid transparent square, and another transparent square with an empty cavity in it (larger surface area), both at the same temperature, I should be able to show that the solid square radiates more energy due to it's greater volume.

Last edited:

1. What is thermal energy intensity per unit volume?

Thermal energy intensity per unit volume is a measure of the amount of thermal energy contained within a given volume of a substance. It is typically expressed in units of joules per cubic meter (J/m3).

2. How is thermal energy intensity per unit volume calculated?

Thermal energy intensity per unit volume can be calculated by dividing the total thermal energy of a substance by its volume. The total thermal energy is typically calculated by multiplying the mass of the substance by its specific heat capacity and its change in temperature.

3. What factors affect thermal energy intensity per unit volume?

The main factors that affect thermal energy intensity per unit volume are the mass and specific heat capacity of the substance, as well as its temperature. Other factors such as pressure, density, and composition may also play a role.

4. How is thermal energy intensity per unit volume different from thermal energy?

Thermal energy intensity per unit volume is a measure of the amount of thermal energy within a given volume of a substance, while thermal energy is a measure of the total amount of thermal energy possessed by a substance. Thermal energy is typically expressed in units of joules (J), while thermal energy intensity per unit volume is expressed in units of joules per cubic meter (J/m3).

5. What are some real-world applications of thermal energy intensity per unit volume?

Thermal energy intensity per unit volume is an important concept in fields such as thermodynamics, heat transfer, and materials science. It is used in various industrial processes, such as in the design and optimization of heating and cooling systems, as well as in the development of new materials with specific thermal properties.