How much heat energy is needed to operate a metromelt for one hour?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the amount of heat energy required to operate a Metromelt for one hour, with the given conditions of the snow being -4 degrees Celsius and the water being dumped at +4 degrees Celsius. The equations Q=mct and Q=mLf are mentioned, but the person asking for help has not shown much work and is reminded that others will not give a complete solution. They are provided with the hint of finding how much snow the Metromelt can melt in one hour, which is 150,000 kg. They are then guided to finding the heat energy needed to melt the snow and are reminded to consider the boiling point at 0 degrees Celsius. The final answer is given as 5.4x
AlanxD

Homework Statement

Assuming that the snow is -4 degrees celcius and that the water is dumped at +4 degrees celcius, calculate the amount of heat energy required to operate a metromelt for one hour.

Homework Equations

Q=mct
Q=mLf *little f*

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't see how i would arrive the answer but i knw the Ti=-4 degrees celcius and Tf=4 degrees celcius and melting point is 0 degrees celcius.
I want a step-by-step solution.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help me for this Thermal energy question?

AlanxD said:
I want a step-by-step solution.

You haven't really shown much work. Either way, no one is going to give you a complete solution here. We'll help YOU do YOUR homework, not do it for you.

With that said, I'll try to HELP you. HINT:I think your going to need to know how much snow the metro melt melts in an hour. Do you know this, or can you find it?

G01 said:
You haven't really shown much work. Either way, no one is going to give you a complete solution here. We'll help YOU do YOUR homework, not do it for you.

With that said, I'll try to HELP you. HINT:I think your going to need to know how much snow the metro melt melts in an hour. Do you know this, or can you find it?

"The Metromelt is capable of melting 150,000 kg of snow in one hour."

OK, cool! Now using that information can you find how much heat you need to melt that snow in 1 hour? HINT: What will [tex]\Delta T_{snow}[/tex] be?

Isn't it Tf-Ti? Which is Tf=4 degrees celcius and Ti=-4 degrees celcius but isn't boiling point included at 0 degrees celcius?

Yes [tex]\Delta T = T_f-T_i[/tex]

Now find the heat energy it takes to heat up the ice, and the latent heat here, add them up, and that should be your answer!

Good luck!

Ya tks. I found the answer of 5.4X10 to the power of 10.

No Problem! Good Job!

1. What is thermal energy?

Thermal energy is the energy that is generated from the movement of particles within a substance. It is also known as heat energy and is measured in units of joules (J).

2. How is thermal energy related to snow?

Snow contains a significant amount of thermal energy because it is made up of tiny ice crystals that are constantly moving and vibrating due to their molecular structure. This movement creates thermal energy, which is why snow feels cold to the touch.

3. How does the thermal energy of snow affect its properties?

The thermal energy of snow plays a crucial role in determining its physical properties, such as its melting point, density, and ability to insulate. Higher thermal energy can cause snow to melt faster and become denser, while lower thermal energy can make it more powdery and less insulating.

4. Can thermal energy be used to melt snow?

Yes, thermal energy can be used to melt snow. This is because the heat energy from the thermal source is transferred to the snow, increasing its temperature and causing it to melt. However, the amount of thermal energy needed to melt snow depends on various factors, such as the ambient temperature and the type of snow.

5. How is the thermal energy of snow measured?

The thermal energy of snow can be measured in units of joules (J) using a thermometer or other thermal energy measuring devices. It can also be indirectly measured by observing changes in the physical properties of snow, such as its melting point or density.