Thermal Expansion of ethanol problem

In summary: The final temperature is found by taking the initial temperature and subtracting the temperature at the point of overflow.
pat666

Homework Statement

1. You pour 108 cm3 of ethanol, at a temperature of - 10.0 C, into a graduated cylinder initially at 20.0 C, filling it to the very top. The cylinder is made of glass with a specific heat of 840 J/kgK and a coefficient of volume expansion of 1.2 × 10-5 K-1; its mass is 0.110 kg. The mass of the ethanol is 0.0873 kg. The specific heat capacity of ethanol is 2428 J/kgK and the coefficient of volume expansion of ethanol is 75 × 10-5 K-1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

V_loss=V_fe-V_fg
=7.677*〖10〗^(-7) m^3
=7.7cm^3
This seems like a very small loss, does anyone know if it correct or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the question? What equations did you use and what numbers did you put in them?

V_loss=V_fe-V_fg is not a very informative equation. How did you calculate the numbers that went in it?

yeah i know what you mean.
I just calculated the change in volume for glass (contracted) and then the change in volume for ethanol. From there i found the final volume (once in equilibrium). all using deltaV/V=beta*deltaT... the equation " V_loss=V_fe-V_fg" i figured out since the etanol was overflowing by the amount it was bigger than the volume of the glass??

You still don' show how you calculated the changes of each volume. What did you use for the final temperature of each mass and how did you find that? If you don't show us exactly what you did, we will not be able to figure out where you went wrong.

Final temp being -0.89 deg C

Total overflow = 108 x 75 x 10^-5 x (-10+0.89) + 108 x 1.2 x 10^-5 x (20 +0.89)
= 0.765 cm^2

The calculation is correct, however you should stick to convention and write

ΔT = Tfinal - Tinitial.

It is easier to see that way how ecah volume changes.

Ya Ezamoo i had the same thing 7.677*〖10〗^(-7) m^3 i had that as 7cm^3 my bad...

how do you find out the final temperature?

What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of a substance to increase in size or volume when its temperature is raised. This is due to the increase in kinetic energy of the particles within the substance, causing them to move and spread out more.

Why is the thermal expansion of ethanol a problem?

The thermal expansion of ethanol can be a problem because it can cause containers or pipes to crack or burst when the temperature changes. This can lead to leaks, spills, and potential hazards.

How is the thermal expansion of ethanol measured?

The thermal expansion of ethanol is typically measured in terms of its coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE), which is the change in volume per degree of temperature change. It is usually expressed in units of either per degree Celsius (°C) or per degree Fahrenheit (°F).

What factors can affect the thermal expansion of ethanol?

The main factor that affects the thermal expansion of ethanol is the temperature. The higher the temperature, the greater the expansion. Other factors that can also play a role include the purity and concentration of the ethanol, as well as the type of container or material it is in contact with.

How can the thermal expansion of ethanol be controlled?

The thermal expansion of ethanol can be controlled by using materials with lower coefficients of thermal expansion, such as stainless steel or glass, to contain it. Additionally, proper insulation can help to minimize temperature changes and therefore reduce the expansion of ethanol.