Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal hydraulics

1. Mar 7, 2008 #1
    hi guys

does anyone work on thermal hydraulics? i'm currently doing studies based on both RELAP5 and TRACE codes and i would appreciate if we can share our experiences

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2008 #2
    does anybody use any thermal-hydraulic computer code?

4. Apr 1, 2008 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I work with thermal hydraulics indirectly since T/H forms the thermal boundary conditions for some of my work.

RELAP is one code used in safety and licensing analysis. Many utilities use RETRAN (and EPRI sponsored code) and VIPRE, and over the last decade or so, the industry has been increasing the use computational fluid dynamics with codes like FLUENT, STAR-CD and CFX.

In addition to T/H, turbulence and fluid-structure interaction (FSI) are being studied in much greater detail.

5. Feb 24, 2009 #4
    Hi drsenbei,

I also use TRACE. Are you still interested in sharing experiences?

kind regards,
    Schmehausen

6. Aug 30, 2010 #5
    Hi,
    can anyone help me with a thermal hydraulics courses.thank you

7. Apr 22, 2011 #6
    There's a new 3-day course June, 2011 in Columbia, Maryland. I'm excited! Here's the link to ISL's RELAP5 User Workshop: http://www.islinc.com/training/

8. Apr 22, 2011 #7

NUCENG

Science Advisor

My experience with RELAP and RETRAN has been limited to reviewing annalyses prepared by others. Similar experience with GE's SHEX code. I have worked with PIPEFLOW and performed complete pressure/temperature/humidity calculations with GOTHIC in support of room heatup calculations for Station Blackout and High Energy Line Breaks. I have done some work with BOP Heat Balances using PEPSE. Finally I have performed fluid flow calculations using the methods in Crane TP-410 and using experimental data for flow resistance prepared by I. E. Idel'chik. In a similar methodology I have performed radiological source term transport and dose assesments usingn RADTRAD and spreadsheet methods.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?