Thermal Hydraulics: Connect with Experienced Researchers

In summary, I've found that the use of codes and the use of established methods from the engineering literature are the most efficient ways to solve various problems in thermal hydraulics.
drsenbei
hi guys

does anyone work on thermal hydraulics? I'm currently doing studies based on both RELAP5 and TRACE codes and i would appreciate if we can share our experiences

Engineering news on Phys.org
does anybody use any thermal-hydraulic computer code?

I work with thermal hydraulics indirectly since T/H forms the thermal boundary conditions for some of my work.

RELAP is one code used in safety and licensing analysis. Many utilities use RETRAN (and EPRI sponsored code) and VIPRE, and over the last decade or so, the industry has been increasing the use computational fluid dynamics with codes like FLUENT, STAR-CD and CFX.

In addition to T/H, turbulence and fluid-structure interaction (FSI) are being studied in much greater detail.

drsenbei said:
hi guys

does anyone work on thermal hydraulics? I'm currently doing studies based on both RELAP5 and TRACE codes and i would appreciate if we can share our experiences

Hi drsenbei,

I also use TRACE. Are you still interested in sharing experiences?

kind regards,
Schmehausen

Hi,
can anyone help me with a thermal hydraulics courses.thank you

Stephan_doc said:
Hi,
can anyone help me with a thermal hydraulics courses.thank you

There's a new 3-day course June, 2011 in Columbia, Maryland. I'm excited! Here's the link to ISL's RELAP5 User Workshop: http://www.islinc.com/training/"

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience with RELAP and RETRAN has been limited to reviewing annalyses prepared by others. Similar experience with GE's SHEX code. I have worked with PIPEFLOW and performed complete pressure/temperature/humidity calculations with GOTHIC in support of room heatup calculations for Station Blackout and High Energy Line Breaks. I have done some work with BOP Heat Balances using PEPSE. Finally I have performed fluid flow calculations using the methods in Crane TP-410 and using experimental data for flow resistance prepared by I. E. Idel'chik. In a similar methodology I have performed radiological source term transport and dose assesments usingn RADTRAD and spreadsheet methods.

1. What is thermal hydraulics?

Thermal hydraulics is a branch of science that combines the principles of thermodynamics and fluid mechanics to study the behavior of fluids in systems that involve heat transfer. It is commonly used in engineering fields such as nuclear power, chemical processing, and thermal management.

2. What are some applications of thermal hydraulics?

Thermal hydraulics has various applications, including the design and analysis of nuclear reactors, thermal management in electronic devices, and the optimization of energy systems such as power plants and heat exchangers. It is also used in the development of new materials for energy storage and transportation.

3. How do thermal hydraulics researchers connect with experienced researchers?

There are several ways for thermal hydraulics researchers to connect with experienced researchers, such as attending conferences and workshops, collaborating on research projects, and joining professional organizations and societies. Online platforms and forums dedicated to thermal hydraulics research can also facilitate connections between researchers.

4. What are the benefits of connecting with experienced researchers in thermal hydraulics?

Connecting with experienced researchers in thermal hydraulics can provide valuable insights and knowledge, as well as opportunities for collaboration and networking. It can also lead to new research ideas and advancements in the field, and help researchers stay updated on the latest developments and techniques.

5. How does thermal hydraulics research contribute to society?

Thermal hydraulics research plays a crucial role in various industries, including energy production, transportation, and manufacturing. It helps improve the efficiency and safety of processes and systems, reduces environmental impacts, and contributes to the development of sustainable energy solutions. Additionally, thermal hydraulics research can also lead to advancements in other fields, such as material science and fluid dynamics.