1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal Physics Textbooks

1. Apr 13, 2014 #1
    Hi again,

I'm looking for a book to self study thermal physics/statistical mechanics. I would like one with an abundance of worked examples and problems with solutions as well. I've browsed through a few other threads and found these were the general "good" books deemed by the community:

Thermal physics by Schroeder
    Thermal physics by Kittel and Kromer
    Statistical physics by Reif
    Concepts of thermal physics by Blundell and Blundell

And of course, other recommendations are welcome as well.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2014 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

The Schroeder book is pretty decent. It might not fill all your criteria (like solutions to exercises). I think it would be a good choice for self study, as it is easy to follow where the author is going.

I would not recommend Kittel and Kromer for self study. It can be hard to understand if you haven't had an introduction to the subject (and even then...). I can't comment on the other two books you mention.

4. Apr 15, 2014 #3

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Reif is not the easiest book to read. He wrote a Berkeley series book in statistical physics, start there and the move on to Reif. Also, Zemansky wrote a really good text on thermodynamics.

5. Apr 16, 2014 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I second that opinion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted