Thermo question (Compressor w/ cooling fluid)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the mass flow rate in a control volume that includes a cooling stream and condensed fluid. The speaker assumed a heat generated of 0 and net work of 0. Some members agree with the assumptions but question the high mass flow rate of 4484.5 Kg/s.
mxpxer7
I attached the HW assignment. Its question number 2.

I choose a control volume including the cooling stream from the lake and the fluid being condensed. I assumed with this CV that the heat generated was 0 and that the net Work was 0.

Using these assumptions I solved for the mass flow rate and I got a number that seemed totally unreasonable... M= 4484.5 Kg/s .. Anyone have any suggestions?

is it okay to assume the net work is 0?

Attachments

• ME444HW1_F12.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 842
Physics news on Phys.org
All of your assumptions seem correct and I got very close to the same answer that you did. A high mass flow rate in the cooling fluid is to be expected to cause such a tremendous energy change in a high speed mass flow rate of an almost completely saturated vapor.

1. What is a compressor and how does it work?

A compressor is a device that increases the pressure and temperature of a gas by reducing its volume. It works by compressing a refrigerant gas and then releasing it to transfer heat out of a system, resulting in cooling. This process is repeated in a cycle to maintain a consistent temperature.

2. What is the role of cooling fluid in a compressor?

The cooling fluid, also known as a refrigerant, is responsible for absorbing and transferring heat out of the system. As it passes through the compressor, it changes states from a gas to a liquid and back again, allowing it to absorb heat from the surrounding environment and release it outside the system.

3. How does a compressor with cooling fluid help regulate temperature?

A compressor with cooling fluid helps regulate temperature by continuously cycling the refrigerant through the system. The compressor compresses the refrigerant gas, causing it to heat up and release heat outside the system. As it cools down, it changes back into a liquid and is then passed through an expansion valve, where it expands and cools, absorbing heat from the surrounding environment. This cooled liquid is then circulated back into the compressor to repeat the cycle.

4. What are the different types of cooling fluids used in compressors?

The most commonly used cooling fluids in compressors are hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) such as R-134a and R-410A. Other types include hydrocarbons (HCs) like propane and isobutane, and natural refrigerants such as carbon dioxide and ammonia. The type of cooling fluid used depends on the specific application and environmental considerations.

5. What are the benefits of using a compressor with cooling fluid?

Compressors with cooling fluid offer several benefits, including efficient temperature control, compact size, and low noise levels. They also have a longer lifespan compared to other cooling methods and are environmentally friendly if the appropriate refrigerant is used. Additionally, they can be used in a variety of applications, such as refrigeration, air conditioning, and heat pumps.