Thermodynamic Cycle 2: Understanding PV^y, Cp/Cv and PV=nRT

In summary: Delta U=nC_v\Delta T=\left(\frac{3R}{2}\right)\frac{3P_0V_0}{R}=?$$$$\Delta U=\frac{3R}{2}\left(\frac{P_0V_0}{R}\right)+\frac{P_0(4V_0)}{R}=\frac{7R}{2}$$
subzero0137
therm.png
2. PV^y = const, y=Cp/Cv, PV=nRT, 3.
thermaaa.png

I've drawn the cycle for part a) of the question, but I'm not sure how to do part b). I know I need to relate Vm and 4Vo using the PV^y = constant relation but I'm stuck as to how to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
subzero0137 said:
I know I need to relate Vm and 4Vo using the PV^y = constant relation
Using that, write an equation relating P0, V0, Pm and Vm.

Likes subzero0137 and Chestermiller
haruspex said:
Using that, write an equation relating P0, V0, Pm and Vm.

Thanks, I think I got it now. Just to confirm, would P_m = P_0/32?

subzero0137 said:
Thanks, I think I got it now. Just to confirm, would P_m = P_0/32?
Yes.

haruspex said:
Yes.

Sorry to bother you again but the next part of the questions asks to determine the work done, heat transfer and change in internal energy in each process. So if we consider the first, isobaric process then the work done on the gas is simply Won = -P0 * (4V0 - V0) = -P0 * 3V0. To calculate the heat transferred (Q) and change in internal energy (ΔU) I can use the first law of thermodynamics, but the equations for Q and ΔU involve variables that I don't know. ΔU=nCVΔT and Q=nCPΔT. I don't know how to get either Q or ΔU if I don't know n (moles) and change in temperature.

subzero0137 said:
Sorry to bother you again but the next part of the questions asks to determine the work done, heat transfer and change in internal energy in each process. So if we consider the first, isobaric process then the work done on the gas is simply Won = -P0 * (4V0 - V0) = -P0 * 3V0. To calculate the heat transferred (Q) and change in internal energy (ΔU) I can use the first law of thermodynamics, but the equations for Q and ΔU involve variables that I don't know. ΔU=nCVΔT and Q=nCPΔT. I don't know how to get either Q or ΔU if I don't know n (moles) and change in temperature.
Try it algebraically, also making use of the ideal gas law, and see how it plays out. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:
Do it "per mole."

ΔU=CVΔT and Q=CPΔT? But the temperature differences are still missing. I tried to do P0V0/T1 = P04V0/T2 ⇒ T2=4T1 but that doesn't give a change in temperature

$$nT_0=\frac{P_0V_0}{R}$$
$$nT_1=\frac{P_0(4V_0)}{R}$$
$$nC_v(T_1-T_0)=C_v\frac{3P_0V_0}{R}$$
For a monoatomic gas, what is the molar Cv in terms of R?

Chestermiller said:
$$nT_0=\frac{P_0V_0}{R}$$
$$nT_1=\frac{P_0(4V_0)}{R}$$
$$nC_v(T_1-T_0)=C_v\frac{3P_0V_0}{R}$$
For a monoatomic gas, what is the molar Cv in terms of R?

Molar Cv = 3/2 R? Sorry I'm still confused

Last edited:
subzero0137 said:
Molar Cv = 3/2 R? Sorry I'm still confused
$$\Delta U=nC_v\Delta T=\left(\frac{3R}{2}\right)\frac{3P_0V_0}{R}=?$$

Likes subzero0137

Related to Thermodynamic Cycle 2: Understanding PV^y, Cp/Cv and PV=nRT

What is a thermodynamic cycle and why is it important?

A thermodynamic cycle is a series of thermodynamic processes that occur in a closed system and ultimately return the system to its initial state. It is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of a system over multiple cycles, and can be used to design and optimize various engineering and industrial processes.

What is PV^y and how is it related to thermodynamic cycles?

PV^y is the pressure-volume relationship in a thermodynamic system, where P represents pressure, V represents volume, and y is a constant value. It is important in thermodynamic cycles because it allows us to calculate the work done by the system and the heat transferred during a process.

What is the difference between Cp/Cv and PV=nRT?

Cp/Cv (specific heat at constant pressure/constant volume) and PV=nRT (ideal gas law) are both equations used in thermodynamics. Cp/Cv is used to calculate the amount of heat needed to change the temperature of a substance at constant pressure or volume, while PV=nRT is used to calculate the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and the number of moles in an ideal gas.

How are thermodynamic cycles related to entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. In thermodynamic cycles, entropy can increase or decrease depending on the processes involved. For example, in a heat engine, entropy increases as heat is converted into work, while in a refrigeration cycle, entropy decreases as heat is removed from a system.

What are some real-world applications of thermodynamic cycles?

Thermodynamic cycles have many practical applications in engineering and industry. Some examples include power generation in steam turbines, refrigeration and air conditioning systems, and chemical reactions in industrial processes. They are also important in understanding the behavior of natural systems, such as the Earth's climate and the functioning of living organisms.