Thermodynamic potential and energy density in cosmic models

Thank you. In summary, the conversation discusses the Mass Varying Neutrino model and its use of the thermodynamic potential and energy density to explain cosmic acceleration. The equation ρ = \frac{\partial\Omega}{\partial m} is used to calculate the energy density from the thermodynamic potential, but additional assumptions may be needed. The integral (73) may require numerical methods for evaluation. Seeking guidance from a knowledgeable individual is recommended.
mjka
I'm reading this paper

http://arxiv.org/abs/0911.1728

It's about the authors' consideration of the Mass Varying Neutrino model with a new approach that try to explain the cosmic acceleration then.

I often encounter the thermodynamic potential during reading and re-calculating the equations. However, I'm not sure I got its meaning right, also the relation of thermodynamic potential and energy density. According to D part in Section I, the energy density is [itex]\rho = \frac{\partial\Omega}{\partial m}[/itex] where Ω is the thermodynamic potential density and m is the mass.

However, with that definition I couldn't achieve (72),(73) later.

By the way, I found how to evaluate the integral (31) but couldn't do that with (73), which is [itex]\int_k^\inf \frac{z^2\sqrt{z^2-k^2}}{e^z+1}dz[/itex].

Any help would be appreciate. Thank you!

Space news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing this interesting paper with us. The Mass Varying Neutrino model is a fascinating approach to explaining cosmic acceleration, and I can understand your confusion about the thermodynamic potential and its relation to energy density. Let me try to clarify it for you.

The thermodynamic potential, denoted as Ω, is a quantity that describes the equilibrium state of a system in thermodynamic terms. In this paper, the authors are using the thermodynamic potential to describe the behavior of the Mass Varying Neutrino model. The energy density, denoted as ρ, is a measure of the amount of energy per unit volume in a system. In this case, it is the energy density of the Mass Varying Neutrino model.

The equation you mentioned, ρ = \frac{\partial\Omega}{\partial m}, is a general relation between the energy density and the thermodynamic potential. It is used to calculate the energy density from the thermodynamic potential, but it may not be applicable in all cases. In the specific case of the Mass Varying Neutrino model, the authors have derived equations (72) and (73) using this relation, but they may have also used additional assumptions and approximations to simplify the equations.

Regarding the integral (73), it may not be possible to evaluate it analytically. In that case, numerical methods can be used to obtain a numerical solution. I suggest consulting with a colleague or a mentor who is familiar with the specific techniques used in this paper for further guidance.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. Keep up the good work and happy researching!

1. What is thermodynamic potential?

Thermodynamic potential is a concept in thermodynamics that describes the amount of energy available to do work in a system. It is a function of the system's state variables, such as temperature, pressure, and volume.

2. How is thermodynamic potential related to energy density?

In the context of cosmic models, energy density is a measure of the amount of energy per unit volume in the universe. Thermodynamic potential is related to energy density through the equations of state, which describe the relationship between the system's state variables and its energy.

3. How are thermodynamic potential and energy density used in cosmic models?

Thermodynamic potential and energy density are important concepts in cosmology, as they help us understand the behavior and evolution of the universe. They are used in equations such as the Friedmann equations, which describe the expansion of the universe, and the energy conservation equation, which describes the transfer of energy between different components of the universe.

4. What is the difference between thermodynamic potential and energy density?

Thermodynamic potential is a measure of the energy available to do work in a system, while energy density is a measure of the amount of energy per unit volume in a system. In other words, thermodynamic potential is a potential for energy to be converted into work, while energy density is a measure of the total energy present in a system.

5. How do thermodynamic potential and energy density change in different cosmic models?

Thermodynamic potential and energy density can vary in different cosmic models, as these models make different assumptions about the composition and evolution of the universe. For example, in a model with a cosmological constant, energy density remains constant over time, while in a model with dark energy, energy density increases over time.