Thermodynamic problem, mastering physics

In summary, the work done to compress the helium gas from 3000 cm3 to 1000 cm3 at constant pressure is 158.34 and at constant temperature is 317.6. However, the correct work done at constant pressure is determined by evaluating the integral instead of using the pressure value alone. It is important to be careful with units when solving problems like this.
Shayna
Homework Statement
A 3000 cm3 container holds 0.10 mol of helium gas at 300C.
How much work must be done to compress the gas to 1000 cm3 at constant pressure?
How much work must be done to compress the gas to 1000 cm3 at constant temperature?

The attempt at a solution
W = integration p dv
For constant pressure,
because pressure is constant, therefore it matters not what integral it is on
W= p = nRT/v = 0.1*8.314*573.15/3 = 158.34

For constant temperature,
W= integration p dv over integral v=1L and v=3L
W= 317.6

apparently Mastering physics thinks this is neither here nor there, well, I am very :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Shayna,

Shayna said:
Homework Statement
A 3000 cm3 container holds 0.10 mol of helium gas at 300C.
How much work must be done to compress the gas to 1000 cm3 at constant pressure?
How much work must be done to compress the gas to 1000 cm3 at constant temperature?

The attempt at a solution
W = integration p dv
For constant pressure,
because pressure is constant, therefore it matters not what integral it is on
W= p = nRT/v = 0.1*8.314*573.15/3 = 158.34

Looking at the first one, this does not look right to me. The work is not equal to the pressure (for one thing they don't have the same units).

You need to evaluate the integral:

[tex]
W = - p \int\limits_{V_i}^{V_f} dV
[/tex]

In your work you have determined p, but the volume integral is not equal to 1, so there is more to the answer than just p. What do you get?

(Also, be careful with your units.)

Okay, I start from scratch again and got the right answer
I've made multiple mistakes due to carelessness in term of unit.

Thanks so much

1. What is a thermodynamic problem?

A thermodynamic problem is a type of physics problem that deals with the study of energy and its transformations. It involves analyzing the behavior of systems in relation to their surroundings and the transfer of energy between them.

2. What are the basic principles of thermodynamics?

The basic principles of thermodynamics include the conservation of energy, the second law of thermodynamics, and the concept of entropy. These principles provide a framework for understanding how energy behaves in different systems.

3. How do you approach solving a thermodynamic problem?

The first step in solving a thermodynamic problem is to clearly define the system and its surroundings. Then, you must apply the appropriate thermodynamic equations and principles to analyze the energy transfers and transformations within the system.

4. What are some common types of thermodynamic problems?

Some common types of thermodynamic problems include calculating the work done by a system, determining the change in temperature or internal energy of a system, and analyzing the efficiency of a heat engine.

5. How can I master solving thermodynamic problems?

To master solving thermodynamic problems, it is important to have a strong understanding of the basic principles and equations involved. Practice solving various types of problems and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed. Additionally, understanding the physical concepts behind the equations can also aid in mastering thermodynamic problems.