Solving for Pressure in Four Cylinder Thermodynamic Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses problem solving involving pressure and volume using various equations and processes in the context of thermodynamics and heat engines. The participants are seeking help with understanding and applying these concepts in a specific problem involving four cylinders. They discuss the use of the P=F/A formula, force balance, temperature changes, and the equations PV=nRT and P1V1=P2V2. The focus of the conversation shifts to finding the volume in state 4, with suggestions to use both PV=nRT and P3V3=P4V4 equations.
Physics news on Phys.org
At state 2, when the mass is in equilibrium, you need to do a force balance. Remember F=PA. Then look at the temperatures of states 1 and 2. What type of process is that?

Thanks ! i have managed to solve a and b but now i am stuck on c I believe the answer to c is isobaric, because P=F/A is not affected by the growing volume nor the temperature. and it can't be isothermal because the temperature is changing. and I don't quite understand how adiabatic works.

Ok my answer to the volume are wrong, do I use P1V1=P2V2 or do I use PV=nRT equation ?

can anyone help please ? I've figured out pressure, but I'm stuck on how to find volume

I think you should use P1V1=P2V2, that is supposed to work when T=constant.

yeah I was considering that. And to find the volume in state 4, I would have to use PV=nRT correct ? since T isn't constant ?

alex1261 said:
yeah I was considering that. And to find the volume in state 4, I would have to use PV=nRT correct ? since T isn't constant ?

From state 3 to 4, it looks like T=100°C for both 3 and 4. So while you can use PV=nRt at 4, you should be able to use P3V3=P4V4 as well

FAQ: Solving for Pressure in Four Cylinder Thermodynamic Problem

1. What is the definition of a thermodynamic problem?

A thermodynamic problem is a scientific question or issue that relates to the study of energy and its transformation from one form to another, as well as its effects on matter.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The four laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of energy and matter in a system. They are the zeroth law, the first law, the second law, and the third law.

3. How do you solve a thermodynamic problem?

To solve a thermodynamic problem, you must first identify the system and its boundaries, as well as the type of process occurring. Then, apply the appropriate thermodynamic equations and principles to analyze the energy and matter interactions within the system.

4. What are some common applications of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics has many applications in various fields, including physics, chemistry, engineering, and biology. Some examples include refrigeration and air conditioning systems, power plants, chemical reactions, and biological processes.

5. How does thermodynamics relate to the concept of entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. Thermodynamics predicts how entropy changes in a system during a process, and the second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase or remain constant.