1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Thermodynamic Problem

1. Feb 25, 2010 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

At state 2, when the mass is in equilibrium, you need to do a force balance. Remember F=PA. Then look at the temperatures of states 1 and 2. What type of process is that?

4. Feb 26, 2010 #3
    Thanks ! i have managed to solve a and b but now i am stuck on c I believe the answer to c is isobaric, because P=F/A is not affected by the growing volume nor the temperature. and it can't be isothermal because the temperature is changing. and I don't quite understand how adiabatic works.

5. Feb 26, 2010 #4
    Ok my answer to the volume are wrong, do I use P1V1=P2V2 or do I use PV=nRT equation ?

6. Feb 28, 2010 #5
    can anyone help please ? I've figured out pressure, but i'm stuck on how to find volume

7. Feb 28, 2010 #6

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I think you should use P1V1=P2V2, that is supposed to work when T=constant.

8. Feb 28, 2010 #7
    yeah I was considering that. And to find the volume in state 4, I would have to use PV=nRT correct ? since T isn't constant ?

9. Feb 28, 2010 #8

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

From state 3 to 4, it looks like T=100°C for both 3 and 4. So while you can use PV=nRt at 4, you should be able to use P3V3=P4V4 as well

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook