Thermodynamics - Brayton Cycle

In summary, the conversation discusses the ideal Brayton cycle and finding the heat input (q_in) for the combustion process. The first law of thermodynamics is mentioned, as well as the assumption of steady flow. The formula for q_in is discussed, with some discrepancy between using total temperatures (T_t) or static temperatures (T). The importance of using total temperatures is also mentioned for calculating the final thermal efficiency formula.
WCMU101
Hey all. I'm going through my textbook at the moment and struggling to figure out something.

Here is the ideal Brayton cycle (same as in my text).

745px-Brayton_cycle.svg.png

Now I want to find q in, so:

The first law of thermodynamics can be written as (neglecting changes in ke and pe):

h_in - h_out + q_in - q_out + w_in - w_out = change in energy.

Focusing on the combustion process - 2-3:

h2 - h3 + q_in = change in energy

As we are assuming the flow is steady, the change in energy must be zero, thus:

q_in = h3 - h2

For a thermally perfect gas h depends only on T (h = c_p * T), So:

q_in = c_p(T3 - T2)

Now most sites I've looked at get this result. However in my textbook (a textbook for propulsion), the temperatures are stated at total temperatures, so the textbook says:

q_in = c_p(T_t3 - T_t2)

However for q_out the text states the same formula as most other stuff I've seen:

q_out = c_p(T4 - T1)

Just the static temperatures.

I'm really lost. Using the total temperatures is important because it allows us to get the Mach number in the final thermal efficiency formula.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick.

Science news on Phys.org
When you're subtracting one from the other, it doesn't matter which you use. For example, if you are using SI, using total temperature just puts a 273-273=0 into the middle of the equation.

1. What is the Brayton Cycle?

The Brayton Cycle is a thermodynamic cycle used in gas turbines to convert heat energy into mechanical energy. It consists of four stages: isentropic compression, constant pressure heat addition, isentropic expansion, and constant pressure heat rejection.

2. How does the Brayton Cycle work?

The cycle begins with air being compressed in a compressor, increasing its pressure and temperature. The compressed air then enters a combustion chamber where fuel is added and ignited, causing the air to expand and produce high-temperature, high-pressure gas. This gas then enters a turbine where it expands and does work, powering the compressor and any external devices. Finally, the exhaust gas is released and the cycle repeats.

3. What is the purpose of the Brayton Cycle?

The Brayton Cycle is used in gas turbines to efficiently convert heat energy into mechanical energy. This allows for the production of electricity, as well as powering various machines and vehicles such as airplanes and ships.

4. What is the difference between an open and closed Brayton Cycle?

In an open Brayton Cycle, fresh air is continuously taken in and exhausted, while in a closed Brayton Cycle, the same air is recirculated. Closed Brayton Cycles are more efficient, as they do not require the compressor to work as hard to maintain a constant airflow.

5. What are the advantages of the Brayton Cycle?

The Brayton Cycle is highly efficient, with the ability to convert up to 60% of heat energy into mechanical energy. It also has a high power-to-weight ratio, making it ideal for use in aircraft and other vehicles. Additionally, it can use a variety of fuels, including natural gas, diesel, and biofuels, making it a versatile option for power generation.