Thermodynamics - Cycle efficiency

In summary, the efficiency of a reversible cycle can be calculated using the equation η = 1 - 2*S2T6 / [ (S2-S1)T1+(S4-S2)T3 ] where S2 is equal to (S1+S4)/2. The heat received by the system can be determined by the area above the T=0 line on a T-S diagram, while the heat dispensed can be calculated from the area below the diagram. It is important to note that S2 is not equal to (S4-S1)/2, but rather (S1+S4)/2.
Jalo

Homework Statement

Consider the following reversible cycle:

2ceqedh.png

Where S2=S3=(S1+S4)/2 .
Prove that the efficiency η is:

η= 1 - 2*T6 / (T1+T3)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that in a T-S diagram the heat received by the system is equal to the area delimited by the upper boundaries of the diagram and the line T=0. I also know that the heat dispensed by the system is equal to the area under the diagram (I got the same results calculating both heats analitically). Therefore I get:

η = 1 - (S4-S1)T6 / [ (S2-S1)T1+(S4-S2)T3 ] =
= 1 - 2*S2T6 / [ (S2-S1)T1+(S4-S2)T3 ]

I don't know how to get rid of the entropies tho... If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Jalo said:
η = 1 - (S4-S1)T6 / [ (S2-S1)T1+(S4-S2)T3 ] =
= 1 - 2*S2T6 / [ (S2-S1)T1+(S4-S2)T3 ]

Check the blue highlighted region. I don't believe it's correct. Note that S4-S1 ≠ 2S2

Also, think about the relation between S2-S1 and S4-S2

TSny said:
Check the blue highlighted region. I don't believe it's correct. Note that S4-S1 ≠ 2S2

Also, think about the relation between S2-S1 and S4-S2

Oh, for some reason I tought S2 was equal to (S4-S1)/2 instead of (S1+S4)/2 ...

I can solve it from here.
Thanks!

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work, and how they affect matter.

What is cycle efficiency?

Cycle efficiency is a measure of how efficient a thermodynamic cycle is at converting input energy into useful output work.

What is the Carnot cycle?

The Carnot cycle is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle that represents the most efficient way of converting heat into work. It consists of four reversible processes: isothermal expansion, adiabatic expansion, isothermal compression, and adiabatic compression.

What factors affect cycle efficiency?

The factors that affect cycle efficiency include the type of working fluid, the pressure and temperature at various points in the cycle, and the design of the system.

How is cycle efficiency calculated?

Cycle efficiency is calculated by dividing the useful output work by the total energy input. This can be represented by the equation: Efficiency = (Useful Work Output / Total Energy Input) x 100%.