Thermodynamics: ΔE vs ΔU - Uncover the Difference

In summary, the difference between ΔE and ΔU is that E represents the total energy of the system while U represents the internal energy. Equation 1 includes all forms of energy, while equations 2 and 3 only consider specific forms. Equation 2 assumes that the macroscopic KE and PE do not change, while equation 3 takes into account the internal energy of the system.
thinkcentre12
My question is what is the difference between ΔE and ΔU. Because I see both equations 2 and 3 interchangeably . But then I see equation 1. So there has to be a difference between them since they are using both symbols in one equation. I thought U was internal energy while E was total energy. So I am confused to what the difference is between 2 and 3 why can I use either equation?

Thanks I tried to explain my thinking

ΔE = ΔU + ΔKE + Δ PE (1)

ΔE = Q - W (2)

ΔU = Q - W (3)

Engineering news on Phys.org
thinkcentre12 said:
My question is what is the difference between ΔE and ΔU. Because I see both equations 2 and 3 interchangeably . But then I see equation 1. So there has to be a difference between them since they are using both symbols in one equation. I thought U was internal energy while E was total energy. So I am confused to what the difference is between 2 and 3 why can I use either equation?

Thanks I tried to explain my thinking

ΔE = ΔU + ΔKE + Δ PE (1)

ΔE = Q - W (2)

ΔU = Q - W (3)
E is the symbol for the total energy of the system and U is the symbol for internal energy of the system.

E takes into account the macroscopic KE and PE of the system as well as the internal energy, U. The macroscopic kinetic energy and potential energy of the system are due to the motion and position of the centre of mass of the system. U can be thought of as the microscopic KE and PE - the kinetic and potential energies of all the constituent molecules in the system measured relative to the centre of mass of the system.

Your equation (2) is correct only if the macroscopic KE and PE do not change.

AM

Likes alrabiay

1. What is the difference between ΔE and ΔU in thermodynamics?

The symbols ΔE and ΔU represent different types of energy changes in a thermodynamic system. ΔE refers to the change in the total energy of a system, which includes both kinetic and potential energy. On the other hand, ΔU represents the change in internal energy, which is the total energy of a system excluding any external forces or work.

2. Can ΔE and ΔU be equal in a thermodynamic system?

Yes, it is possible for ΔE and ΔU to be equal in a thermodynamic system. This happens when there is no exchange of work or heat with the surroundings, meaning that the change in internal energy is equal to the change in total energy. In other words, the system is in a state of constant energy.

3. How do ΔE and ΔU relate to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In this context, ΔE and ΔU represent different forms of energy changes in a system. ΔE includes all forms of energy, while ΔU only considers the internal energy. Therefore, the first law of thermodynamics can be expressed as ΔE = Q + W, where Q is the heat added to the system and W is the work done on the system.

4. How are ΔE and ΔU affected by changes in temperature and volume?

Both ΔE and ΔU are affected by changes in temperature and volume. An increase in temperature of a system will result in an increase in both ΔE and ΔU. Similarly, an increase in volume of a system will cause an increase in both ΔE and ΔU. However, if the temperature and volume change simultaneously, the effect on ΔE and ΔU will depend on the type of process (isothermal, isobaric, or adiabatic).

5. Can ΔE and ΔU be negative in a thermodynamic system?

Yes, both ΔE and ΔU can be negative in a thermodynamic system. A negative value for ΔE indicates a decrease in the total energy of the system, while a negative ΔU means a decrease in the internal energy. This can happen, for example, when heat is lost from the system or when work is done on the system. Negative values for ΔE and ΔU are also possible during phase changes, such as when a gas condenses into a liquid.