Thermodynamics equilibrium problem

In summary, the problem involves two rigid tanks filled with N2 and O2 at different temperatures and pressures, connected by a valve to allow the gases to mix. Assuming constant specific heats, the temperature of the mixed gases is calculated to be 497.061K, which is not the expected value of 474K. Upon further examination, it is found that the initial amount of oxygen in tank B was calculated incorrectly. Additionally, the equation for calculating the temperature of the mixed gases is incorrect and should use the moles of the gases instead of their masses. The second part of the problem, involving the amount of heat lost when the tanks reach equilibrium with the surroundings, can be solved using the formula Q=\Delta U_{O_2
integ8me
Please help me solve this...

Two rigid tanks are connected by a valve. Initially, tank A contains 0.2m3 of n2 at 350k and 100Kpa. tank B contains 0.5m3 O2 at 500k and 250Kpa. The valve between the tanks is open and the two gases are allowed to mix. Assuming constant specific heats at the given temp find the temp of the gases immediately after mixing (474k) and the amount of heat lost if the tanks are allowed to sit and reach equilibrium with the surroundings at 25c (145.8KJ).

I made the assumptions that if the tanks are the control volume initially then Q=0, KE=0, PE=0.
Ma=PV/RT = (100*0.2)/(0.2968*350)=0.19253kg
Mb=PV/RT = (250*0.5)/(.02598*500)=9.62279kg

Mmix = Ma +Mb
Tmix=(Ma/Mmix)*(Ta)+(Mb/Mmix)*(Tb)
I keep getting Tmix=497.061K
I'm supposed to get 474K, am I missing something obvious?

I included boundary work for the second part of the problem and cannot get the correct answer either. Please help if you can

Physics news on Phys.org
integ8me said:

Two rigid tanks are connected by a valve. Initially, tank A contains 0.2m3 of n2 at 350k and 100Kpa. tank B contains 0.5m3 O2 at 500k and 250Kpa. The valve between the tanks is open and the two gases are allowed to mix. Assuming constant specific heats at the given temp find the temp of the gases immediately after mixing (474k) and the amount of heat lost if the tanks are allowed to sit and reach equilibrium with the surroundings at 25c (145.8KJ).

I made the assumptions that if the tanks are the control volume initially then Q=0, KE=0, PE=0.

Mmix = Ma +Mb
I keep getting Tmix=497.061K

I included boundary work for the second part of the problem and cannot get the correct answer either. Please help if you can

Re-check your calculation of the amount of oxygen initially present in tank B. You've slipped a decimal point somewhere.

integ8me said:

Mmix = Ma +Mb

The last formula is wrong. Use the moles of the gases, instead of their masses.

Hm the equation for Tmix seems to be derived from Q (lost by oxygen)=Q (absorbed by Nitrogen). Is this the correct way to model this problem? We have gases that are mixing up not that exchange Q through a separation interface...

Delta² said:
Hm the equation for Tmix seems to be derived from Q (lost by oxygen)=Q (absorbed by Nitrogen). Is this the correct way to model this problem? We have gases that are mixing up not that exchange Q through a separation interface...
Since there is no work done on or by the surroundings in this mixing, ##Q = \Delta U = n_aC_v\Delta T_a + n_bC_v\Delta T_b## (on the assumption that they behave as ideal gases). And, since it is adiabatic, Q = 0, so ##n_aC_v\Delta T_a = - n_bC_v\Delta T_b##. So it is really just a matter of finding n and initial T for each gas .

AM

Likes Delta2
integ8me said:
Please help me solve this...I made the assumptions that if the tanks are the control volume initially then Q=0, KE=0, PE=0.

what value for R do you use, shouldn't you use R=8,314. All the units are in SI (mind pressure is in KPa so you should multiply x 1000).
There is no work done, use [itex]Q=\Delta U_{O_2}+\Delta U_{N_2}=(n_{O_2}+n_{N_2})C_v\Delta T, T_i=474K, T_f=298K)[/itex]

Ok , i see now , you used [itex]R_{specific}[/itex] and calculated masses , however you should use the moles of the gases not their masses as ehild noticed, for both questions.

Last edited:

Related to Thermodynamics equilibrium problem

1. What is thermodynamic equilibrium?

Thermodynamic equilibrium is a state in which there is no net transfer of energy or matter between different parts of a system, and all macroscopic properties of the system remain constant over time.

2. How is thermodynamic equilibrium achieved?

Thermodynamic equilibrium is achieved when all the forces within a system are balanced, and the system is at a minimum energy state. This can be accomplished through various processes, such as cooling, heating, mixing, and chemical reactions.

3. What are the three types of thermodynamic equilibrium?

The three types of thermodynamic equilibrium are thermal equilibrium, mechanical equilibrium, and chemical equilibrium. Thermal equilibrium refers to a balanced exchange of heat between systems, mechanical equilibrium refers to a balanced exchange of work, and chemical equilibrium refers to a balanced exchange of reactants and products in a chemical reaction.

4. What is the difference between local and global thermodynamic equilibrium?

Local thermodynamic equilibrium refers to a state in which different parts of a system are at different temperatures, but the overall system is at a constant temperature. Global thermodynamic equilibrium refers to a state in which the entire system is at a uniform temperature.

5. How does thermodynamic equilibrium relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The concept of thermodynamic equilibrium is closely related to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that in a closed system, entropy (a measure of disorder) will always increase over time until it reaches a maximum value at equilibrium. Additionally, the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed but only transferred or converted, also plays a role in achieving and maintaining thermodynamic equilibrium.