Thermodynamics - I am so frustrated

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the final temperature of water at 100kPa and 127°C after 700kJ/kg of heat is added electrically. Three methods are suggested: using the water table, using the ideal-gas table, and using the constant specific heat equation. The attempt at solving using the water table resulted in a final temperature of 568°C, but it does not agree with the answer for part a. The attempt at solving using the constant specific heat equation suggests calculating Cp using the given constants and initial temperature, and then using the equation q = Cp(T2-T1). However, this method also gives a different answer than the one for part a.
jmshipton

Homework Statement

Water @ 100kPa and 127 C
Heat added electrically 700kJ/kg
Find final temp using:
a. water table
b. ideal-gas table
c. constant specific heat

Homework Equations

Cp = a + bT + cT^2 + dT^3
the constants are also listed in the table

The Attempt at a Solution

by using the superhead water table to find u1 at 2547.618 kJ/kg, I added the 700 kJ/kg and then interpilated to get a final temp of 568 C. This seems correct.

I don't see how one can use the ideal gas tables, and I am at a loss as how to use the constant specific heat to find the final temp. Please advise as how to compute! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
(ugh...I may not be so much help after all, I seem to have forgotten a lot

but maybe it's helpful anyway...I'm pretty sure about the stuff I have below, it just doesn't agree with your answer for a, and I don't know why not)let's see if the other methods agree with your answer for a)

let's try c)

a little of the ol'

Q = mCp(T2-T1)

we don't have the mass...but we don't need it either since q = Q/m

(they gave us the heat in kJ/kg)

q = Cp(T2-T1)

so, you have q, you can look up Cp from the tables...which makes me wonder if I'm really doing part b) hmm...probably, and for part c you have to calculate Cp using the a, b, c, d constants from another table? anyways: you know the initial temperature (T1)

be careful with your units...and you should have a nice looking answer

Last edited:
Well, I see then how c) makes sense but like you say, it is WAY off a).

Thanks for the reply tho, I appreciate it bud.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of heat, energy, and their relationship to work and other forms of energy.

2. Why is thermodynamics important?

Thermodynamics is important because it helps us understand how energy is transferred and transformed within systems. It has practical applications in fields such as engineering, chemistry, and biology.

3. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

There are four laws of thermodynamics, but the first three are the most commonly referenced. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. The third law states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero.

4. How can I apply thermodynamics in everyday life?

Thermodynamics can be applied in everyday life in various ways, such as cooking, heating and cooling systems, and car engines. Understanding thermodynamics can also help with making more efficient and sustainable energy choices.

5. What are some common misconceptions about thermodynamics?

One common misconception is that thermodynamics only applies to large-scale systems, when in fact, it also applies to microscopic systems such as atoms and molecules. Another misconception is that the laws of thermodynamics are absolute and unchangeable, when in reality, they can be modified in certain situations, such as in extreme conditions like black holes.