1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics, ideal gas, virial coefficient

1. Jul 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So the problem gives you the compressibility factor Z. It gives two equations, one for ideal gas and other one for non-ideal gas.
    The question states:
    The second Virial coefficient B(T) depends on the temperature T and is related to the intermolecular potential B(T) = 2[itex]\pi\N∫[1-exp(-ψ(r)/kT)]r^2 dr

boundary is 0 ~ ∞.

Derive the second Virial coefficient B(T) when the dependence of the intermolecular potential ψ(r) on molecular distance r is given as follows,

r < σ : ψ(r) = ∞,
    r >= σ : ψ(r) = -ε(σ/r)^6

2. Relevant equations
    Z = 1 + (n/V)*B(T) + (n/V)^2 * C(T) + (n/V)^3 * D(T)+...
    for ideal gas, it is : Z = PV / nRT.
    B(T), C(T), and D(T) are the second, the third, and the fourth virial coefficients respectively. P is a pressure, V is a volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is a temperature. It also gives me a equation with Boltzmann constant k and Avogadro's number N: R = kN.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the problem have given us different ψ(r) when the boundary of r is different, I decided to separate the integral into two parts also, one with boundary of 0~σ and the second one with σ~∞. From there I decided to substitute the ψ(r) into corresponding integrals, one ∞ into the one with boundaries of 0~σ and -ε(σ/r)^6 into the one with σ~∞. I thought I can derive from this but I seem to get stuck when I'm deriving the integral with the boundary of σ~∞. Please give me some help me with some advice!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?