Thermodynamics - Mass on Vertical Piston

In summary, the conversation is about a question involving a force balance and pressure calculations. The question is initially answered incorrectly, but after realizing a mistake and correcting it, the answer is found to be correct. However, there is a discrepancy in the significant figures required for the answer.
Sirsh
I keep getting this question wrong, and I am struggling to understand why this is.

Homework Statement

image.png

Homework Equations

F = p*A
Ap = π*r2

The Attempt at a Solution

Denoting patm as atmospheric force, and p0 as pressure inside the cylinder.

Firstly, a force balance on the system. Force UP = Force DOWN.
p0*Ap = m*g + patm*Ap

patm = 101.4 kPa , and at 104.4°C p0 is equal to a pressure between 110 kPa (at 102.3°C) and 120 kPa (at 104.8°C).

By interpolation p0 is equal to 118.4 kPa.

Rearranging the force balance, m = ((p0-patm)*Ap)/g = ((118.4-101.4)*(π*(0.042)2)/9.81 = 0.00960 kg.

This seems like a VERY unrealistic situation considering this very small mass is creating 17 kN/m2 of force..

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I realized my mistake, I need to times my mass by 1000 due to using kN/m2 = kPa I should be finding mass with N/m2.

Edit still wrong...

The area of a circle is πD2/4, not πD2.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
The area of a circle is πD2/4, not πD2.

Chet

Sorry Chester, I changed the 84mm diameter into 0.042m radius when I put it into the formula.

It seems my working is correct, except the quiz I'm doing is playing up. Which is really confident battering :/

Sirsh said:
Sorry Chester, I changed the 84mm diameter into 0.042m radius when I put it into the formula.

It seems my working is correct, except the quiz I'm doing is playing up. Which is really confident battering :/
Sorry, my mistake. I rechecked your calculation, and it looks correct. But the requirement of 3 significant figures is an issue. If you interpolate in your pressure table, you get 118.4. But if I interpolate in my pressure table, I get 117.9; and if I interpolate in my temperature table, I get 118.0. (I did these interpolations using semi-log interpolation). So the pressure difference can be anywhere from 17 to 16.5.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Sorry, my mistake. I rechecked your calculation, and it looks correct. But the requirement of 3 significant figures is an issue. If you interpolate in your pressure table, you get 118.4. But if I interpolate in my pressure table, I get 117.9; and if I interpolate in my temperature table, I get 118.0. (I did these interpolations using semi-log interpolation). So the pressure difference can be anywhere from 17 to 16.5.

Chet

As always, appreciate your help Chester. In the end it worked out to be correct!

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work in systems that involve the transfer of energy.

2. What is a "mass on vertical piston" system?

In this system, a mass is placed on top of a vertical piston, which can move up and down. The piston is connected to a container filled with gas, and when the mass is moved, it exerts pressure on the gas, causing it to expand or compress.

3. What is the significance of mass on vertical piston systems in thermodynamics?

Mass on vertical piston systems are commonly used in thermodynamics to study the relationship between volume, pressure, and temperature in gases. They allow for the manipulation of variables to observe the effects on the system's energy and work.

4. How is the First Law of Thermodynamics applied to mass on vertical piston systems?

The First Law of Thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. In mass on vertical piston systems, the energy transfer between the system and its surroundings can be observed through changes in temperature, pressure, and volume.

5. What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to mass on vertical piston systems?

The ideal gas law is a fundamental equation in thermodynamics that relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. In mass on vertical piston systems, the ideal gas law can be used to calculate the work done by the gas as it expands or compresses under the influence of the mass on the piston.