1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics - Mass on Vertical Piston

1. Sep 24, 2015 #1
    I keep getting this question wrong, and I am struggling to understand why this is.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    image.png
    2. Relevant equations
    F = p*A
    Ap = π*r2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Denoting patm as atmospheric force, and p0 as pressure inside the cylinder.

Firstly, a force balance on the system. Force UP = Force DOWN.
    p0*Ap = m*g + patm*Ap

patm = 101.4 kPa , and at 104.4°C p0 is equal to a pressure between 110 kPa (at 102.3°C) and 120 kPa (at 104.8°C).

By interpolation p0 is equal to 118.4 kPa.

Rearranging the force balance, m = ((p0-patm)*Ap)/g = ((118.4-101.4)*(π*(0.042)2)/9.81 = 0.00960 kg.

This seems like a VERY unrealistic situation considering this very small mass is creating 17 kN/m2 of force..

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2015 #2
    I think I realized my mistake, I need to times my mass by 1000 due to using kN/m2 = kPa I should be finding mass with N/m2.

Edit still wrong...

4. Sep 24, 2015 #3
    The area of a circle is πD2/4, not πD2.

Chet

5. Sep 24, 2015 #4
    Sorry Chester, I changed the 84mm diameter into 0.042m radius when I put it into the formula.

It seems my working is correct, except the quiz I'm doing is playing up. Which is really confident battering :/

6. Sep 24, 2015 #5
    Sorry, my mistake. I rechecked your calculation, and it looks correct. But the requirement of 3 significant figures is an issue. If you interpolate in your pressure table, you get 118.4. But if I interpolate in my pressure table, I get 117.9; and if I interpolate in my temperature table, I get 118.0. (I did these interpolations using semi-log interpolation). So the pressure difference can be anywhere from 17 to 16.5.

Chet

7. Sep 26, 2015 #6
    As always, appreciate your help Chester. In the end it worked out to be correct!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted