Thermodynamics - Phase changes

In summary, the final state of the system is a mixture of both ice and water at 0°C. There are 50 moles of water and 20 moles of ice in the system. The final temperature is 0°C. The equation used to calculate this was nCliquid(Tf-Ti) = nCice(Tf-Ti) + n\DeltaHmelting, where n represents the number of moles, C represents the heat capacity, and \DeltaHmelting represents the heat of fusion. By solving for the number of moles left after melting the ice, it was determined that there is not enough energy to completely melt the ice, resulting in a final temperature of 0°C.
psychkub
1. You have 0.9 L of water in an insulated (thermally isolated) cup at 20 C. You add 360 g of ice at −20 C in the cup to cool the water. Describe the final state of your system in terms of (i) number of moles of ice (ii) number of moles of water and (iii) the final temperature.

Cp, ice=38.07J-1mole-1
Cp, liquid water=75.3JK-1mol-1
[tex]\Delta[/tex]Hmelting = 6.007kJmol-1

First thing I did was find how many moles of water and ice I had (I'm aware I'm using rounded figures for the molar masses)

0.9L * 1000g/L * 1mol H20/18g/mol = 50mol H20
360g of ice * 1mol H20/18g/mol = 20mol ice

It's an isolated system so I know that the final temp of the water will equal that of the ice and hence I can say
-qwater = qice or
nCliquid(Tf-Ti) = nCice(Tf-Ti) + n[tex]\Delta[/tex]Hmelting

I did the calculations:
-(50)(75.3)(Tf-293) = (20)(38.07)(Tf-253) + (20)(6.007x103)

And I get Tf = 259.7K

Someone in class told me that Tf should be greater than 0, which if it is, that would make calculating the moles of water at the end soooo much easier, so either they are wrong, or I am doing something wrong.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
psychkub said:
-(50)(75.3)(Tf-293) = (20)(38.07)(Tf-253) + (20)(6.007x103)
[/b]

This equation isn't right. There are three cases to consider. If there is so much ice that it doesn't even melt, then the [itex]\Delta H[/itex] term doesn't appear because no melting happens. If there is an amount of ice that makes some of it melt, but not all of it, you will have an equation that is similar to the one above, but the 'n' in front of [itex]\Delta H[/itex] will only be the amount that melts. Finally, all the ice could melt, and then the melted ice could heat up. In this case you don't have nCice(Tf-Ti), you have nCice(0-Ti) since the ice melts at 0C, and then after that it's heat capacity switches to the liquid heat capacity.

You need to figure out what case you're in first.

LeonhardEuler said:
This equation isn't right. There are three cases to consider. If there is so much ice that it doesn't even melt, then the [itex]\Delta H[/itex] term doesn't appear because no melting happens. If there is an amount of ice that makes some of it melt, but not all of it, you will have an equation that is similar to the one above, but the 'n' in front of [itex]\Delta H[/itex] will only be the amount that melts. Finally, all the ice could melt, and then the melted ice could heat up. In this case you don't have nCice(Tf-Ti), you have nCice(0-Ti) since the ice melts at 0C, and then after that it's heat capacity switches to the liquid heat capacity.

You need to figure out what case you're in first.

So in order to figure out what case I'm in do I calculate the energy it takes to bring water from 20C to 0C, so

(50)(75.3)(0-20) = -75,300J

Then figure out the amount of energy it takes to bring the ice from -20C to 0, so

(20)(38.07)(0- (-20)) = 15,228

-75,300+15,228 = 60,072 left to melt the ice

So there is enough energy to bring the ice to 0C, now I need to figure out if there is enough energy to melt the ice. So,

n[tex]\Delta[/tex]H - (20)(6007)= 120,140J to melt all the ice.

So I there is not enough energy to melt all the ice (120140J-60,072 = 60,068J more needed to melt all the ice), so the final temp would be 0C since there is a mixture of both ice and water.

But now, how do I figure out how much ice I have left over?

do I just use algebra to solve for the number of moles left from 60,072J = n[tex]\Delta[/tex]fusion?

psychkub said:
So in order to figure out what case I'm in do I calculate the energy it takes to bring water from 20C to 0C, so

(50)(75.3)(0-20) = -75,300J

Then figure out the amount of energy it takes to bring the ice from -20C to 0, so

(20)(38.07)(0- (-20)) = 15,228

-75,300+15,228 = 60,072 left to melt the ice

So there is enough energy to bring the ice to 0C, now I need to figure out if there is enough energy to melt the ice. So,

n[tex]\Delta[/tex]H - (20)(6007)= 120,140J to melt all the ice.

So I there is not enough energy to melt all the ice (120140J-60,072 = 60,068J more needed to melt all the ice), so the final temp would be 0C since there is a mixture of both ice and water.

But now, how do I figure out how much ice I have left over?

do I just use algebra to solve for the number of moles left from 60,072J = n[tex]\Delta[/tex]fusion?

Exactly! :smile:

Thank you for your help LeonhardEuler!

1. What is a phase change in thermodynamics?

A phase change, also known as a phase transition, is the transformation of a substance from one physical state to another, such as from solid to liquid or from liquid to gas. This occurs due to changes in temperature and pressure.

2. What are the three main types of phase changes?

The three main types of phase changes are melting, freezing, and boiling. Melting occurs when a substance changes from solid to liquid, freezing is the opposite process of liquid to solid, and boiling is when a substance changes from liquid to gas.

3. What is the difference between evaporation and boiling?

Evaporation is the process by which a liquid changes to a gas at a temperature below its boiling point. Boiling, on the other hand, is the process by which a liquid changes to a gas at its boiling point. Evaporation can occur at any temperature, but boiling only occurs at the boiling point of a substance.

4. How does thermodynamics explain phase changes?

Thermodynamics explains phase changes by the application of the laws of thermodynamics, specifically the first and second laws. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can be transferred or converted. The second law states that in any energy transfer or conversion, some energy will be lost as unusable heat.

5. Why do phase changes occur at specific temperatures and pressures?

Phase changes occur at specific temperatures and pressures because they are determined by the properties of the substance, such as its melting and boiling points. These properties are dependent on factors such as intermolecular forces, molecular size, and molecular structure. Any changes in temperature or pressure can cause these properties to be affected, resulting in a phase change.