Thermodynamics problem, nonsense

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling to solve a thermodynamics problem involving a balloon with a certain volume, pressure, and amount of hydrogen. They were confused by the solution, which stated that the volume remains constant even after the pressure and amount of hydrogen are reduced, while the temperature remains constant. The person asks for an explanation or if it is a mistake in the textbook. Another person suggests that the balloon may be rigid, which would explain the constant volume.
inf3st
I was struggling to solve a thermodynamics problem, until I looked up the page with solutions and found something that makes absolutely no sense to me.

Basically, I'm given a balloon with a certain volume, pressure and amount of hydrogen. The amount of hydrogen is then reduced, as well as the pressure. Temperature is constant.

Now, what would make sense to me is that, if I had a balloon with a certain volume, pressure and amount of substance, and if I reduced the substance and the pressure - volume would also be reduced, if the temperature is constant.
Since the gas is what keeps the balloon bloated, if you have less of it and it makes smaller pressure to the balloon, I guess that the volume would also lessen. But no, the solution says that the volume is also constant, together with the temperature.

Can somebody explain to me how is this possible? Or is it a mistake in the textbook?

Science news on Phys.org
inf3st said:
Can somebody explain to me how is this possible? Or is it a mistake in the textbook?

A balloon made of Mylar will maintain an approximately fixed volume over a significant range of pressure.

Does the problem indicate that the pressure is reduced inside or outside of the balloon? Silly question perhaps, but lowering the pressure of the environment outside the balloon could produce no change in the volume it occupies.

Dear infdst. Welcome to Physics Forums!

If the book says that the volume was constant, the only way this could happen is if the balloon is rigid (or close to it, as jbriggs444 is suggesting). Does the exact problem statement (word for word) imply that the balloon is rigid or its volume is constant?

Chet

I understand your frustration with this problem. It is important to remember that thermodynamics is a complex and often counterintuitive subject. In this case, it is possible that the solution is correct and there is a valid explanation for why the volume remains constant despite the changes in pressure and amount of hydrogen. It is also possible that there is a mistake in the textbook. I would recommend seeking clarification from your professor or a more experienced colleague to better understand the concept and solution. Additionally, it may be helpful to review the fundamental principles of thermodynamics and how they apply to this specific situation. Keep in mind that science is a constantly evolving field and not all concepts may be easily understandable at first. Keep persevering and seeking answers, and you will eventually gain a better understanding of this problem.

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the study of the relationship between heat, energy, and work, and how they are affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and volume.

What is a thermodynamics problem?

A thermodynamics problem is a question or scenario that requires the application of thermodynamics principles and equations to solve. It typically involves calculating heat transfer, work done, or changes in energy in a system.

How do I solve a thermodynamics problem?

To solve a thermodynamics problem, you first need to identify the given information and the unknown variable. Then, you can use the appropriate thermodynamics equations, such as the first and second laws of thermodynamics, to calculate the value of the unknown variable.

What are some common mistakes when solving thermodynamics problems?

Common mistakes when solving thermodynamics problems include using the wrong thermodynamics equations, not considering all relevant variables, and not converting units correctly. It is important to carefully read the problem and double-check your calculations to avoid these errors.

Why is thermodynamics important?

Thermodynamics is important in many fields, including chemistry, physics, and engineering. It allows us to understand and predict how energy is transferred and transformed in different systems, which has practical applications in areas such as power generation, refrigeration, and materials science.