Discover the Solution to Finding Temperature T in a Thermodynamics Question

In summary: ERICAN MATHEMATICSIn summary, the homework statement asks for help with finding a temperature between two reservoirs. The equations state that heat will flow spontaneously between the two reservoirs, causing 30% of the heat to be unavailable for work. The attempted solution provides an equation for calculating the temperature T by taking into account the efficiency of the Carnot cycle.
tigerguy

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm in desperate need for help. Any guidance in the right direction will be appreciated:

Heat Q flows spontaneously from a reservoir at 394 K into a reservoir that has a lower temperature T. Because of the spontaneous flow, thirty percent of Q is rendered unavailable for work when a Carnot engine operates between the rservoir at temperature T and a reservoir at 248 K. Find the temperature T.

Homework Equations

W=TS

The Attempt at a Solution

0.30Q = TS, where S = Q*/T

I know the T is in between and the Q value from the drop of 348 to T, multiplied by 0.30 will give you the work needed. I'm just so confused; any help will be appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what the reference to "spontaneous flow" is supposed to mean. I do know that a carnot engine can only convert a fraction of the heat input to work and must output some of the heat it takes in. The ratio of heat input to worked depends on the temperatures of the resevoirs. What is that relationship?

tigerguy said:

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm in desperate need for help. Any guidance in the right direction will be appreciated:

Heat Q flows spontaneously from a reservoir at 394 K into a reservoir that has a lower temperature T. Because of the spontaneous flow, thirty percent of Q is rendered unavailable for work when a Carnot engine operates between the rservoir at temperature T and a reservoir at 248 K. Find the temperature T.
Like Dan I am confused by the "because of the spontaneous flow" reference. The efficiency of the Carnot cycle depends only upon the temperatures of the reservoirs between which it operates. I would ignore that part of the question.

Homework Equations

W=TS
I don't think this is relevant and, besides, it is not generally true. From the first law: [itex]dQ = TdS = dU + dW[/itex], so [itex]W = T\Delta S [/itex] only where [itex]\Delta U = 0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

0.30Q = TS, where S = Q*/T

I know the T is in between and the Q value from the drop of 348 to T, multiplied by 0.30 will give you the work needed. I'm just so confused; any help will be appreciated! Thanks!
As Dan says, find T from the given efficiency of the Carnot cycle. Q is irrelevant to the calculation.

AM

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work. It focuses on the transfer of energy between systems and how it affects the physical properties of matter.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. The third law states that it is impossible to reach absolute zero in a finite number of steps.

3. How are thermodynamics and heat related?

Thermodynamics is the study of the transfer of heat energy between systems and how it affects the behavior of matter. Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from a hotter object to a cooler object, and thermodynamics helps us understand this transfer and its effects.

4. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is a form of energy, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. Temperature is a measure of how hot or cold something is, while heat is the energy that is transferred between objects with different temperatures.

5. How is thermodynamics applied in everyday life?

Thermodynamics plays a role in many everyday activities, such as cooking, using a refrigerator, or driving a car. It also has applications in industries such as power generation and energy efficiency. Understanding thermodynamics can also help us make more informed decisions about energy usage and conservation.