Thermodynamics: RMS Speed of Molecules

In summary: The equation says that the temperature is proportional to v_{rms}^2, so if v_{rms} increases by 1.4%, by what factor does the temperature rise?
Ling_Ling

Homework Statement

The rms speed of molecules in a gas at 20.0°C is to be increased by 1.4 percent. To what temperature must it be raised?

k = 1.38E-23 (Boltzmann's Constant)
Ratio in speed: 1.014 : 1
Ratio in Volume: 1.014² = 1.0282 : 1
T1 = 20°C = 293°K
The Volume of 1 mol of an ideal gas is 22.4 L

Homework Equations

v(rms) = √(3kT/m)
KE = ½mv² = 1.5kT
V1²/V2² = T1²/T2²

The Attempt at a Solution

22.4/(22.4*1.0282) = 293²/T2²
.9726 = 293²/T2²
.9726T2² = 293²
T2 = 297.103°K

Am I correct in my thinking?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
No. The problem talks about increasing v(rms) by raising the temperature, so why are you increasing the volume?

vela said:
No. The problem talks about increasing v(rms) by raising the temperature, so why are you increasing the volume?

Oh. My apologies, a misinterpretation of variables, thanks to past physics units.

So then:
½mv² = 3/2 kT
½m(1.014)² = 3/2 (1.38E-23)T
2.484E22 m = T

Although, I'm not really sure how I could find m (assuming the above steps are correct?)

Unless I should just use the equation: v1²/v2² = T1²/T2²
(at first, I thought the v's in the equation were capital V's standing for volume, but now I realize it stands for v(rms)

1(v²)/1.014²(v²) = 293²/T2²
v²'s cancel out, leaving me with:
1/1.0282 = 85849/T²
T² = 88269.94
T = 297.103°K
Hmm, well, that's the same answer that I found before, but concerning the volume of 1 mol = 22.4 Liters, I noticed that it canceled itself out in my previous work. I think I misinterpreted the variables, but used the ratio correctly, unless that answer is incorrect.

I'm not sure where you got that equation from, but I'm guessing you were right that the V's stood for volume. It looks like one of those ideal gas laws squared.

The equation

[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv_{rms}^2 = \frac{3}{2}kT[/tex]

tells you that the temperature is proportional to [tex]v_{rms}^2[/tex], so if [tex]v_{rms}[/tex] increases by 1.4%, by what factor does the temperature rise?

1. What is the RMS speed of molecules?

The RMS speed of molecules is the root mean square speed, which is the square root of the average squared speed of all the particles in a gas. It is a way to measure the average speed of molecules in a gas at a specific temperature.

2. How is the RMS speed of molecules calculated?

The RMS speed of molecules can be calculated using the formula v = √(3RT/M), where v is the RMS speed, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and M is the molar mass of the gas in kg/mol.

3. Why is the RMS speed of molecules important?

The RMS speed of molecules is important because it helps us understand the behavior of gases at different temperatures. It also helps in determining other properties of gases, such as pressure and volume, which are essential in many scientific and industrial applications.

4. How does temperature affect the RMS speed of molecules?

According to the RMS speed formula, the RMS speed of molecules is directly proportional to the square root of the temperature. This means that as the temperature increases, the RMS speed of molecules also increases. In other words, the higher the temperature, the faster the molecules will be moving.

5. What is the significance of the RMS speed of molecules in thermodynamics?

The RMS speed of molecules is an important concept in thermodynamics as it is directly related to the kinetic energy of gas particles. It helps in understanding the relationship between temperature and kinetic energy, and how this affects the overall behavior of gases. It also plays a crucial role in determining the thermodynamic properties of gases, such as heat capacity and entropy.