1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thevenin Equivalent & Available Power???

1. Sep 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 3.19.22 PM.png

2. Relevant equations
    V=IR
    Node Voltage
    Thev/Nort

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I set up my equations in the picture below, but I'm kinda confused about the Vx's in the equations. First, did I set these up correctly? If so, solving them I get that V2=0 which would mean my Voc is 0V which means Vthev=0. Is that even possible? Am I doing something wrong here?

New Doc 26.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2016 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

That rectangle labelled -Vx, what is it?

4. Sep 10, 2016 #3
    What? That's a dependent current source.

5. Sep 11, 2016 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

A Thévenin voltage of zero is okay. This still leaves you trying to determine Rth. There is not much use pretending to short-circuit the output to measure current—because regardless of the Thévenin resistance, that current is going to be zero because its voltage source is zero.

An equally-valid approach is to inject current into your circuit's outputand measure/calculate the voltage this causes at the output. You can then use this data in conjunction with the Thévenin model to calculate Rth.

⏩ So draw an independent current source adding a current Iin at terminal a and determine Vab.

it's a linear circuit model, so on paper you can do whatever you wish to it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted