1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thevenin equivalent of lattice network

1. Nov 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the Thevenin equivalent network of the lattice network (see attached), viewed from points As and Br (terminals Bs and Ar are not connected to anything).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Without the resistance f, the problem is quite simple. I can find voltages at nodes Bs and Ar as a function of voltage between As and Br (potential dividers). Then insert f and check how it modifies the impedance? I think it only works to check the Thevenin impedance between Bs and Ar, not As and Br, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Sometimes redrawing the diagram can provide insight. Relocate the node Bs to the interior of triangle AsArBr and see what you get.

4. Nov 10, 2011 #3
    I'm guessing I have to use the Y-D transformation, so I get 2 triangles in parallel?

5. Nov 10, 2011 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

There are several ways to continue, one of which is certainly to employ a Y-Δ transform.

You might want to note that resistor e runs directly between the "output" nodes, so it is in effect in parallel with all the rest. You could always remove it for now, figure out the resistance of the rest, then put e back in parallel to finish up.

6. Nov 10, 2011 #5
    Yes, many thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook