1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thevenin equivalent, (superposition?)

1. Feb 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://imageshack.us/a/img14/2387/homeworktest2prob2.jpg [Broken]

a. Find the Thevenin equivalent circuit with respect to terminals a, B for the circuit.

b. Find also the Norton equivalent circuit with respect to the terminals A, B, for the circuit

2. Relevant equations

V = IR

current division, voltage division,

KCL, KVL

Thevenin procedure, Norton procedure.

3. The attempt at a solution

With the load cut out, 4Ω disappears and

25V/5Ω + 3A = Vb/20Ω

100V + 60V = Vb

Vb = 160V, VTh = 160V

I need help mainly with getting RTh

I don't know if I can just simplify the resistors from A to B with that current source (do I cut it out so it becomes an open circuit? I know you put a wire to short the 25V while doing it though).

Trying RTh = VTh/Ino instead, then a wire goes from a to b, then once I do that I try to use superposition (so might need help here with that too:)

With the 3A cut out the equivalent R is 8.3Ω with 25V so I' = 3A

then with the 25V silenced the current is just I'' = 3A, right? Because that's the total current in?

So 3A + 3A = 6A

Ino = 6A

So for RTh I get 160V / 26.6A

= 6Ω

But I don't think it's correct.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your node equation is not correct. The potential difference across the 5Ω resistor is not 25V. What potentials are at either end of this resistor?

I find that the simplest way to write a node equation is to assume that either all currents flow into the node or all currents flow out. Then all the terms can be written on one side of the equation and their sum must equal zero.

Since there are no dependent supplies, you can suppress all the supplies and calculate the net resistance of the network as seen from terminals a-b.

4. Feb 25, 2013 #3
    Ahh thanks, my bad, the nodal equation should be:

(25V - Vb)/5 + 3A = Vb/20Ω

So Vb = VTh = 32V then.

For the second part do you mean that by suppressing everything that I can do that with the current source too (but only to find RTh)? Would it then just be 4Ω?

5. Feb 25, 2013 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Yes :approve:
    Yes. Suppress all sources. Remember that current sources aren't suppressed in the same way that voltage sources are...

6. Feb 25, 2013 #5
    Ah ok, so it's 8Ω then.

Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted