Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thin horizontal line

1. Dec 24, 2007 #1
    Recently a thin black horizontal line appeared across my computer screen. At first it was there for a while then went away, now it seems to be permanently there. Anyone know why it is there or how to get get rid of it.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2007 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Do you happen to have a Trinitron monitor? Sony's monitors have two very thin lines that are shadows that get projected on the screen. They are shadows of the stabilizing wires the monitor has. I noticed them right away, but after a day or so, I don't even see them any more.

If that's not what it is, can you tell if it is monitor or video card related?

4. Dec 24, 2007 #3
    I have an HP pavilion zv6000 laptop. The line is thin but very noticable. What is video card?

5. Dec 24, 2007 #4

ranger

Gold Member

I also have an old HP (omnibook 900) laptop with a vertical line down the screen. At first it wasn't noticeable; it seemed to fade in and out. Then as time went by, the line became a little broader and the color seemed to be white with red boundaries. Its fairly broad; about 1/16 of an inch.

I tried seeing if there was a problem with my video connector, but it seemed okay. So maybe its my video card. I tried it was an external monitor, the secondary screen displayed fine. So I concluded that its a problem with the screen - physically damaged. Yup, my lappy has taken quite a beating over the years.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  6. Dec 25, 2007 #5

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The video card is the hardware interface between the CPU and the monitor. For most practical purposes you might consider it to be a computer itself.

Your problem sounds like one of the monitor row drivers is defective.

7. Dec 25, 2007 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

8. Dec 26, 2007 #7
    Yes as a matter of fact the line completely disappeared simply by applying some pressure as to stretch the screen. However the line came back again about 2 min later. What is the deal?

9. Dec 26, 2007 #8

ranger

Gold Member

Eezekiel, it seems like a bad screen. But to be sure, have you tried the other suggestions that I posted or from the link that NoTime posted? According to one of the posters, disassembling the display setup, along with fiddling with the connectors and the inverter board has fixed the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?