Solving Thin Lens Formula Problems

In summary, you need to find the height of the object (m) and the image (m) using the focal length (f) and the object distance (do) and the image distance (di).
Alain12345
I have to complete a chart using the thin lens forumla. Can someone please help me out? I know that the formula is 1/f= 1/do= 1/di, but I don't know how to use it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Lens Problems.JPG
    Lens Problems.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 486
Physics news on Phys.org
f is the focul legnth of the lense.
do is the distance of the object from the centre of the lense.
di is the distance of the image from the centre of the lense.

~H

yeah, I know that, but how do I find the uknown?

Alain12345 said:
yeah, I know that, but how do I find the uknown?

I don't know what is unknown (if that makes sense :biggrin: ). You haven't specified an unknown.

Sorry I didn't say it, but I attached a chart :tongue:

Alain12345 said:
Sorry I didn't say it, but I attached a chart :tongue:

I'm afraid I can't see your chart as it is yet to be approved by a mentor.

~H

oh okay then I'll just type it here

do di f
60 cm ? 20 cm
30 cm ? 15 cm
105 cm ? 70 cm
40 cm ? 20 cm
45 cm ? 15 cm
210 cm ? 70 cm
15 cm ? 20 cm​

Something that has just occurred to me, you have written down the thin lense equation wrong. You written;

1/f= 1/do= 1/di

It is actually;

[tex]\frac{1}{d_{o}} + \frac{1}{d_{i}} = \frac{1}{f}[/tex]

Sorry I didnt spot that sooner.

~H

lol oops... I typed it out wrong, but I still don't know how to use it :cry:

Well, you are given two variables (do and f). Just re-arrange the formula to find 1/di, then find the reciprical.

help

I have a test friday and I can't figure out how to get the rest of the question

I have figured out the the focal length is 4.0 , the object distance is 7.0 , the image distance is 9.3 and the magnification is -1.32X but i don't know how to get height of object and image, that's all I am given..

1/do + 1/di = 1/f , m = - di/do m=hi/ho

1. What is the thin lens formula?

The thin lens formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the focal length, object distance, and image distance of a thin lens. It is represented as 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length, do is the object distance, and di is the image distance.

2. How do I use the thin lens formula to solve problems?

To use the thin lens formula, you need to have the values of two variables (focal length, object distance, or image distance) and solve for the third. You can rearrange the formula to find the unknown variable by multiplying both sides by f, do, or di.

3. What are some common mistakes when using the thin lens formula?

Some common mistakes when using the thin lens formula include using the wrong sign conventions, not converting units properly, and using the wrong values for the object and image distances. It is important to double-check all values and follow the correct sign conventions for the type of lens being used (convex or concave).

4. What is the difference between a convex and concave lens?

A convex lens is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, while a concave lens is thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges. Convex lenses converge light rays, while concave lenses diverge them. The sign conventions for the thin lens formula differ depending on the type of lens being used.

5. Can the thin lens formula be applied to lenses of any thickness?

Yes, the thin lens formula can be applied to lenses of any thickness as long as they are considered "thin" compared to their focal length. This means that the thickness of the lens must be much smaller than the focal length for the formula to be accurate.