Solving Compound Microscope Lens Length Problem

In summary, the focal length of the objective lens of a compound microscope can be determined using the lens equation. The barrel of the microscope is 15.9 cm in length and the specimen is mounted 1.17 cm from the objective. The eyepiece has a focal length of 5.00 cm. By using the lens equation, it can be determined that the focal length of the objective lens is approximately 2.25 cm. It is important to consider accommodation of the eye when focusing on the specimen, with a recommended distance of 25 cm.
premed_love

Homework Statement

The barrel of a compound microscope is 15.9 cm in length. The specimen will be mounted 1.17 cm from the objective, and the eyepiece has a 5.00 cm focal length. Determine the focal length of the objective lens.

Homework Equations

I am using the mirror equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

1/1.17 cm+1/s'=1/15.9 cm
-1.26 cm
adding 1.26 to 1.17=2.433
1/2.433+1/x=1/1.17 this gives me 2.25 cm

I am so lost. Any guidance would be appreciated.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
"I am using the mirror equation" is just as lengthy as actually giving that equation. Why not give it ? What mirror equation ?
Why not use a lens equation ? (You do, I think, but it looks weird).

In your working it is unclear what you are doing. Could you be a bit clearer, use symbols and words ?
It looks as if you think the image from the objective is located at the top end of the barrel.
What is -1.26 cm and why do say you add it , but then subtract it ?I had to search for "mirror" in compound microscope to discover there aren't any (at least not between object and ocular) :)

150px-Microscope_compound_diagram.png

Decide about whether the eye is accommodated or not. Here they say it is focused at 25 cm.

BvU said:
"I am using the mirror equation" is just as lengthy as actually giving that equation. Why not give it ? What mirror equation ?
Why not use a lens equation ? (You do, I think, but it looks weird).

In your working it is unclear what you are doing. Could you be a bit clearer, use symbols and words ?
It looks as if you think the image from the objective is located at the top end of the barrel.
What is -1.26 cm and why do say you add it , but then subtract it ?I had to search for "mirror" in compound microscope to discover there aren't any (at least not between object and ocular) :)

150px-Microscope_compound_diagram.png
Thanks I figured it out and I meant lens.

Decide about whether the eye is accommodated or not. Here they say it is focused at 25 cm.

1. How do I determine the appropriate lens length for my compound microscope?

The appropriate lens length for a compound microscope is determined by the magnification needed for the specimen. This can be calculated by dividing the total magnification of the microscope by the magnification of the eyepiece. For example, if the total magnification is 400x and the eyepiece magnification is 10x, the lens length needed would be 40x.

2. What are the common problems encountered when solving for compound microscope lens length?

The common problems encountered when solving for compound microscope lens length include incorrect calculations, using the wrong magnification values, and not considering the thickness and refractive index of the specimen.

3. Can the lens length be changed on a compound microscope?

Yes, the lens length on a compound microscope can be changed by using different objective lenses. These lenses have different magnification powers and can be switched out to achieve different levels of magnification.

4. How do I know if I have the correct lens length for my specimen?

The correct lens length for a specimen can be determined by adjusting the focus knob to achieve a clear and sharp image. If the image appears blurry or distorted, the lens length may need to be adjusted by using a different objective lens with a different magnification power.

5. Are there any tips for solving compound microscope lens length problems more efficiently?

One tip for solving compound microscope lens length problems more efficiently is to double check all calculations and make sure the correct magnification values are being used. It can also be helpful to label each objective lens with its respective magnification power to avoid confusion. Additionally, it is important to consider the thickness and refractive index of the specimen when calculating lens length.