This is surveyNewton or Einstein

• Thread starter Leon W Zhang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Einstein
In summary: Newton.Hooke was a great experimentalist and discoverer but a poor science politician.How does that relate to the topic? Hooke was NOT a pacifist, and Hooke did not "back down" from a fight. Hooke was not a mathematician nor a theoretician, that's why he didn't understand the Principia (or was it because the Principia was intentionally obfuscated?)Newton also had any portraits of Hooke removed from the Royal Society for the Improvement of Natural Knowledge after Hooke died. Netwon had a tendency to get in feuds with quite a few people (Hooke, Leibniz, Flamsteed, for example), but he despised Hooke more than anyone
chroot said:
I don't know about you guys, but I think if Newton and Einstein got in a bar fight, Newton would totally have won. I mean, it's so easy to pound on a pacifist.

- Warren
well, I don't know why I think we'd have trouble to realize who's the winner!(considering modern physics)

Physics news on Phys.org
did anyone see this movie

"E=mc2 Einstein and the world's most famous equation"

this movie starts with Faraday and finishes at Einstein,,showing that the base was laid by these guys..

RandallB said:
Where? Do you have a quote or referance?

My bad

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/time/through.html

Also, Einstein proved that the normal equations does not work when dealing with high speeds.

FredGarvin said:
I like pie.
Mmmmm pie...:tongue2:
I like [itex] \pi [/itex] too..

Hooke pwns them both.

Fear the Hooke

Mattara said:
My bad

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/time/through.html

Also, Einstein proved that the normal equations does not work when dealing with high speeds.
Right as from your link "(Newton) admitted he could only describe it without understanding how it worked."

The idea that "normal equations" require 'instant' gravity is a modern requirement, that Newton never claimed.

As to that three way bar fight Hooke & Newton are in trouble if the pacifist brings his nuke.

Last edited: