Thread Killer Champions: Franzbear & Moonbear

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary, Franzbear is the most prolific thread killer in the forum. He has killed at least 12 threads and is likely responsible for 21 more. His ability to kill threads is not a direct outcome of the evidence (number of last posts). You have to at least factor in the total number of posts by each person (posts in GD) to get a more accurate representation of the killer instinct. Franz and Moonie have so many posts here, they are more likely to be the winning killers. You have to divide the number of kills by the total number of posts during the same period to get a corrected distribution.
  • #1,786
franznietzsche said:
No Bob, they're just not funny when you lack the capacity to understand them.
'The Taming of the Shrew', for one, is flippin' hilarious. I submit that as a member of the Empire, I probably have a head start on a lot of you. English humour isn't quite the same as North American, but Canadians have enough exposure to it that it makes more sense to us. Old English humour is still based upon the monarchist society, with class structure. While ours isn't, we do understand it. For instance, several excellent English comedies couldn't be understood in the States, so they remade them for US audiences: All in the Family, Sanford and Son, The Golden Girls... You get stuff like Benny Hill and Mr. Bean because they're slapstick that doesn't require inside knowledge.
That doesn't apply to Douglas Adams, of course, because he was British, but it could just be a matter of his opinion. Most of the people that I know can't understand the humour in "Hitchhiker's Guide".

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,787
Moonbear, 10 for 10! Go for the gold! Grass is Green! (waiting...)

I'm not saying it's impossible for someone in modern culture to find Shakespeare funny, I'm saying that in the modern meme of humor, Shakespeare generally isn't funny. You need to find a counterexample where anyone of sufficient intelligence in modern culture would be expected to find it funny. Since it's Shakespeare and his image is sacrosanct, a lot of the people (I suspect you and you, Moonbear and Franz, as being among them) are just going to say "yeah Shakespeare can tell jokes" without actually having any specific jokes in mind, just to avoid tarnishing his image.

• #1,788
Danger said:
English humour isn't quite the same as North American, but Canadians have enough exposure to it that it makes more sense to us.
Finally, someone who agrees that humor is cultural. Or did you only do that accidentally?

• #1,789
Danger said:
'The Taming of the Shrew', for one, is flippin' hilarious. I submit that as a member of the Empire, I probably have a head start on a lot of you. English humour isn't quite the same as North American, but Canadians have enough exposure to it that it makes more sense to us. Old English humour is still based upon the monarchist society, with class structure. While ours isn't, we do understand it. For instance, several excellent English comedies couldn't be understood in the States, so they remade them for US audiences: All in the Family, Sanford and Son, The Golden Girls... You get stuff like Benny Hill and Mr. Bean because they're slapstick that doesn't require inside knowledge.
That doesn't apply to Douglas Adams, of course, because he was British, but it could just be a matter of his opinion. Most of the people that I know can't understand the humour in "Hitchhiker's Guide".
So true--we've barely understood SCTV and The Red Green Show. :-p

• #1,790
BicycleTree said:
Moonbear, 10 for 10! Go for the gold! Grass is Green! (waiting...)

I'm not saying it's impossible for someone in modern culture to find Shakespeare funny, I'm saying that in the modern meme of humor, Shakespeare generally isn't funny. You need to find a counterexample where anyone of sufficient intelligence in modern culture would be expected to find it funny. Since it's Shakespeare and his image is sacrosanct, a lot of the people (I suspect you and you, Moonbear and Franz, as being among them) are just going to say "yeah Shakespeare can tell jokes" without actually having any specific jokes in mind, just to avoid tarnishing his image.

I don't give a rats ass about the bastards image. NOw I'm insulted.

Ok, enough ****s and giggles for now.

In case you still haven't realized it Bob, i really don't care about convincing, I'm just bored and going through withdrawals from a week without talking to my favorite psych major :frown: .

I'm sad you never caught the irony in my statements. I was purposesly agreeing with you, in a subtle way albeit, in my last post, just to see if you would catch it. you didn't. Sadness. i think i'll eat my dinner anyway.

• #1,792
BicycleTree said:
Finally, someone who agrees that humor is cultural. Or did you only do that accidentally?

I'm really disappointed that you couldn't understand my post.

I thought maybe i was just being an ass, but no, you really are the same color of cretin as everyone else. Sadness.

• #1,793
franznietzsche said:
How would i know? I don't know what he actually wrote in that essay, what his words were. Neither do you, as you admitted. You're arguing referring to something you've never even seen yourself. Its pathetic. Maybe he got the jokes, but he simply argued that they're relevance was lost on those who lacked the capacity as modern audiences do, because they want everything spoon fed to them without having to think, like you. If you catch the irony in this paragraph, i will eat my dinner.
Franz, this is your most recent post before #3048... I don't see any irony here, it just comes across as bitter (not to mention misinformed).

The thing about agreement over cultural humor was actually in response to Danger, NOT you. Pay attention if you're going to be mean and bitter, because I was not even replying to you in that post about agreement over cultural humor, so it was not possible for me to have been misinterpreting you.

Last edited:
  • #1,794
BicycleTree said:
Franz, this is your most recent post before the one you were replying to... I don't see any irony here, it just comes across as bitter.

That's because you lack the intellect to realize that i did in fact agree with you that humour was culture related.

The thing about agreement was actually by Danger, NOT you. Pay attention if you're going to be mean and bitter.

You tard.

Why do you think i was sad? Because it was about Danger. Hence the sadness. Jesus christ. OK now I'm just getting annoyed. This was entertaining, now you're just being flat out dumb.

• #1,795
You did at one point agree (in an ironic sense) that humor is culture-related? I missed it, but I caught Danger's. I'll reread...

• #1,796
BicycleTree said:
You did at one point agree (in an ironic sense) that humor is culture-related? I missed it, but I caught Danger's. I'll reread...

God...

Not in an ironic sense. It was ironic that i did. It was ironic because in a post superficially disagreeing with you, i fundamentally agreed with you.

Jesus , you have the most uncultivated sense of irony and humour I've ever seen.

• #1,797
The only thing that could be construed that way that you said was about modern audiences being too stupid and preferring things to be spoon-fed. I don't think that really counts as humor depending on culture--more like attention span depending on culture. I also get the distinct impression that you only tacked on the bit about "irony" after you read your own post.

• #1,798
BicycleTree said:
The only thing that could be construed that way that you said was about modern audiences being too stupid and preferring things to be spoon-fed. I don't think that really counts as humor depending on culture--more like attention span depending on culture. I also get the distinct impression that you only tacked on the bit about "irony" after you read your own post.

I give up.

You've murdered enough of my brain cells for one night. And ****s and giggles are not worth this blood pressure. Now where's my phone...

• #1,799
franznietzsche said:
God...

Not in an ironic sense. It was ironic that i did. It was ironic because in a post superficially disagreeing with you, i fundamentally agreed with you.

Jesus , you have the most uncultivated sense of irony and humour I've ever seen.

Boy, that get out of banning free card must expire tonight! :smile: (BTW, I did catch the irony...just a slightly different interpretation of cultural there...you can eat your dinner now.)

• #1,800
franznietzche said:
You've murdered enough of my brain cells for one night.
I think the alcohol is what's doing that... :frown:

• #1,801
Moonbear, I already did get it--as much as there was to get--and explain it thoroughly. Stop trying to put me down.

• #1,802
BicycleTree said:
http://www.online-literature.com/shakespeare/shrew/ The complete text of the taming of the shrew is here.

Now, just start with Act 1 Scene 1. Read the section where Baptista enters (Gremio's aside is a pretty obvious joke even if you don't see why the rest of the dialogue is humorous). Really, it's the same sort of humor you'd hear between two guys talking about a woman in a bar, just you need to get used to old English.

• #1,803
BicycleTree said:
Moonbear, I already did get it--as much as there was to get--and explain it thoroughly. Stop trying to put me down.

:confused: I wasn't trying to put you down. Good grief! I was actually sticking up for you a bit there.

• #1,804
Leave shall you have to court her at your pleasure.

GREMIO
[Aside] To cart her rather: she's too rough for me.
-----------

Nobody ever laughs at plays on words.

• #1,805
BicycleTree said:
I never said that it wasn't culturally based. What I said, although not in so many words, is that your vision of it as a hate-fuelled xenophobic 'us against them' bonding ritual is a perversion of reality filtered through what I perceive to be a severely damaged psyche.

• #1,806
BicycleTree said:

Oh, I see the confusion now...you slipped in a reply between the post I was quoting and my reply...it wasn't there when I started typing. Type slower! :biggrin:

• #1,807
BicycleTree said:

GREMIO
-----------

:frown: I do.

• #1,808
I never said it was hate-fuelled, and xenophobic only by implication. It's cultural, in general tribal, and therefore encourages tribal bonding. Exclusion of members of other tribes is only by extension.

• #1,809
BicycleTree said:
http://www.online-literature.com/shakespeare/shrew/ The complete text of the taming of the shrew is here.
Don't need it. I have the complete works in my library, but the type's so damned small that I have trouble trying to read it any more. :frown:

• #1,810
BicycleTree said:

GREMIO
-----------

People who aren't utter morons do.

• #1,811
There's a reason why people _groan_ at puns rather than laugh at them... they might smile a little while groaning but they don't laugh.

• #1,812
Moonbear said:
(BTW, I did catch the irony...just a slightly different interpretation of cultural there...you can eat your dinner now.)

See, she gets it.

The person with the PhD gets it. I am satisfied that my efforts went unwasted. mmm, yummy food.

• #1,813
Moonbear said:
:frown: I do.
<profound relief> Glad to hear it. That is the basis of most of my posts, after all. I'd hate to think that I'd wasted them. :wink:

• #1,814
BicycleTree said:
There's a reason why people _groan_ at puns rather than laugh at them... they might smile a little while groaning but they don't laugh.

Yes, they are utter morons.

That's the reason.

• #1,815
Franz, I got it and explained it before she did.

• #1,816
Danger said:
<profound relief> Glad to hear it. That is the basis of most of my posts, after all. I'd hate to think that I'd wasted them. :wink:

90% of my humour is based on irony and plays on words. Its how i weed out women not worth my time. Unfortunately, it weeds out almost all of them :frown: . Luckily not the important one. :biggrin:

• #1,817
BicycleTree said:
Franz, I got it and explained it before she did.

Sure you did Bob. Sure you did.

• #1,818
Food? who has food?

• #1,819
BicycleTree said:
Puns are deliberately designed to be groaned at. That's the whole point of their existence. It's a very specialized genre of humour. If someone actually laughs at one, then the constructor failed in his mission.

• #1,820
She has acknowledged it... I am not an outlet for your drunken stupor. Find something else, punch the wall or something.

Back