1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three charges problem

1. Mar 22, 2013 #1
    20130322_193009.jpg

Roughly sketch the path of each charge if they are released from rest at the same time, and are allowed to move freely.

Here is my sketch : 20130322_193246.jpg

The model answer: 20130322_193027.jpg

Please tell me what is wrong with my sketch. Once R moves to the left side, PR and QR will be shorter than PQ. Attractive electric force on P outweighs the repulsive, similarly for Q. Shouldn't P and Q bend towards R instead of away? Consider when P, Q and R are collinear, there should be a net attractive force between P and Q?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2013 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

yeah, It is not very clear. I think what the book means is that to begin with, the particles will curve away from each other. And what the book doesn't say is that they will then start to curve back towards each other, when the negative charge gets in-between them.

So I think your answer is correct. (Although they might not curve all the way into each other, since they might be already going too fast, and never manage to meet with each other). But also, as the book says they will initially curve away from each other.

The book seems to expect the answer to what will happen initially. But it is not clear about this, so It is a badly-written question, I think.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted