Three Charges Problem: Sketching the Motion of Charges Released from Rest

• Thread starter superconduct
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charges
In summary, the conversation discusses the movement of charged particles that are released from rest at the same time and allowed to move freely. The participants point out the initial curving away from each other due to attractive and repulsive forces, and the possibility of the particles eventually curving back towards each other. However, there is confusion about the clarity of the book's question and the expected answer.
superconduct
20130322_193009.jpg

Roughly sketch the path of each charge if they are released from rest at the same time, and are allowed to move freely.

Here is my sketch :
20130322_193246.jpg

The model answer:
20130322_193027.jpg

Please tell me what is wrong with my sketch. Once R moves to the left side, PR and QR will be shorter than PQ. Attractive electric force on P outweighs the repulsive, similarly for Q. Shouldn't P and Q bend towards R instead of away? Consider when P, Q and R are collinear, there should be a net attractive force between P and Q?

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah, It is not very clear. I think what the book means is that to begin with, the particles will curve away from each other. And what the book doesn't say is that they will then start to curve back towards each other, when the negative charge gets in-between them.

So I think your answer is correct. (Although they might not curve all the way into each other, since they might be already going too fast, and never manage to meet with each other). But also, as the book says they will initially curve away from each other.

The book seems to expect the answer to what will happen initially. But it is not clear about this, so It is a badly-written question, I think.

1. What is the Three Charges Problem?

The Three Charges Problem is a classic physics problem that involves three charged particles placed in an electric field. The goal is to determine the forces and accelerations on each particle based on their individual charges and positions.

2. How do you solve the Three Charges Problem?

The Three Charges Problem can be solved using Coulomb's Law and the principle of superposition. First, calculate the force between each pair of particles using Coulomb's Law. Then, use the principle of superposition to find the net force on each particle by adding the individual forces vectorially.

3. What are the key concepts involved in solving the Three Charges Problem?

The key concepts involved in solving the Three Charges Problem are Coulomb's Law, which describes the force between two charged particles, and the principle of superposition, which states that the net force on a particle is the vector sum of all individual forces acting on it.

4. What are some common strategies for solving the Three Charges Problem?

Some common strategies for solving the Three Charges Problem include drawing a diagram to visualize the positions and charges of the particles, using a coordinate system to calculate distances and angles, and breaking the problem into smaller parts to simplify the calculations.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Three Charges Problem?

The principles used in solving the Three Charges Problem are relevant in many real-life scenarios, such as designing electronic circuits, understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, and predicting the trajectory of charged particles in a magnetic field.