Three Curve Analysis Questions

In summary, the conversation is about curve analysis questions, specifically the third question which involves finding intervals of increase/decrease, concavity, points of inflection, symmetry, and sketching the graph. The person is having difficulty with the symmetry and sketching part, and is unsure if they did the other parts correctly. They have provided a link to their attempted solution for the problem but are unsure if it is correct. They also mention that they are not sure where to post this question (possibly on a forum for calculus homework help). In regards to the first and second problems, there are some areas for improvement such as finding the derivative of y for the first problem and mentioning that there are local maxima in the second problem. For the
BayernBlues
Here are a few curve analysis questions that I'm having problems with. For the 3rd one where it says fully analyze, it means: Find intervals of increase/decrease, concavity, points of inflection, symmetry, and graph. I'm having problems with the symmetry and sketching part although I think that I did the other stuff wrong too for that question.:frown:

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/2336/6711tj4.png

Here's my attempt at the solution:

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/8564/xo2my2.png

*Could someone move this to the calculus homework thread. It's questions for test prep, not homework but I guess it'd go under that section of the site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear to me what you are doing with the first problem. To find the slope of the tangent line, of course, you need to find the derivative of y, but I see no indication of y' in what you wrote. One problem I see is determining the correct value of y for x= -1.

For the second problem, you've done okay except that you say there is no maximum. The is no "global" maximum but there are local maxima. With the information you have, it should be easy to draw a rough sketch of the graph.

For the third problem f' is never 0 and f is not defined when f' is not defined so there are no critical points. An "inflection" point is where f' changes sign which can only happen where f"= 0 (or where it is not defined but that only happens where f itself is not defined

1. What is Three Curve Analysis?

Three Curve Analysis is a mathematical and statistical method used to analyze and forecast future trends based on past data. It involves plotting three curves: the actual data, a trend line, and a cyclical line. This analysis can be applied to various fields, such as economics, finance, and social sciences.

2. How is Three Curve Analysis used in economics?

In economics, Three Curve Analysis is used to forecast future economic trends, such as GDP growth, inflation rates, and unemployment rates. It helps economists and policymakers make more informed decisions about economic policies and interventions.

3. What are the limitations of Three Curve Analysis?

While Three Curve Analysis can provide valuable insights, it also has its limitations. It assumes that past trends will continue into the future, which may not always be the case. It also does not account for unexpected events or external factors that can impact the data.

4. How is Three Curve Analysis different from other forecasting methods?

Unlike other forecasting methods, Three Curve Analysis takes into account both long-term and short-term trends. It also allows for the identification of cyclical patterns and helps in understanding the underlying factors driving the trends.

5. Can Three Curve Analysis be used for all types of data?

While Three Curve Analysis can be applied to various types of data, it is most effective for data that exhibits a clear trend and cyclical patterns. It may not be suitable for data that is highly irregular or subject to sudden changes.