1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three Curve Analysis Questions

1. Apr 24, 2007 #1
    Here are a few curve analysis questions that I'm having problems with. For the 3rd one where it says fully analyze, it means: Find intervals of increase/decrease, concavity, points of inflection, symmetry, and graph. I'm having problems with the symmetry and sketching part although I think that I did the other stuff wrong too for that question.:frown:

Here's my attempt at the solution:

*Could someone move this to the calculus homework thread. It's questions for test prep, not homework but I guess it'd go under that section of the site.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's not clear to me what you are doing with the first problem. To find the slope of the tangent line, of course, you need to find the derivative of y, but I see no indication of y' in what you wrote. One problem I see is determining the correct value of y for x= -1.

For the second problem, you've done okay except that you say there is no maximum. The is no "global" maximum but there are local maxima. With the information you have, it should be easy to draw a rough sketch of the graph.

For the third problem f' is never 0 and f is not defined when f' is not defined so there are no critical points. An "inflection" point is where f' changes sign which can only happen where f"= 0 (or where it is not defined but that only happens where f itself is not defined
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?