1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three-phase balanced wye-wye system problem

1. Feb 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a balanced three-phase wye-wye system, the source is an abc-sequence set of voltages and V_an = 120e^(i30°) V rms. The power absorbed by the load is 3435 W and the load impedance is 10 + j2 Ω. Find the two possible line impedance if the power generated by the source is 3774 W. Which line impedance is more likely to occur in an actual power transmission system?

Z_line = ?
    Z_load = 10+j2 ohm
    P_load = 3435 W
    P_source = 3774 W
    V_s = 120e^(i30°) V rms

2. Relevant equations

V_an = I_aA (10 + j2 + Z_line)

P_s = V_an * I_aA cos θ / sqrt(3)

3. The attempt at a solution

I can't seem to figure out a way to solve for any particular variable... I can find that the power of the line, P_line = 339 W, but that's about as far as I can get. The line impedance appears to be solved by:

Z_line = V_an - I_aA (Z_load) / I_aA
    (derived from first relevant eq.)

But the current isn't given, and if I derive current I_aA from second relevant equation, then I don't know cos θ. The fact that there is a cos θ, it does make sense that there would be two valid line impedances.

Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?