1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three plate capacitor and charge distribution

1. Feb 5, 2015 #1
    In the figure given the capacitance for the two pair would be same. Can anybody please explain me how the charge would be distributed across each plate???
    I think that the middle plate being isolated should have +Q on one side and -Q on other, but how would be the charge distribution about the remaining plates as both of them are connected to the positive terminal of the battery. 1.png

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2015 #2
    ?
    A and C are connected to the positive terminal of the battery and acquire positive charge. B is connected to the negative terminal and acquire negative charge.

4. Feb 5, 2015 #3
    1.png so will the charge distribution on the plates be as shown in the figure??? If B is connected to the negative terminal then will both the sides of the plates will have -Q charge. But the pair of capacitor plates should have opposite charges right? Please i am a little confused with this. Correct me if i am wrong.

5. Feb 5, 2015 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

no, Plates A and C are positively charged and Plate B is negatively charged

1a.GIF

Why would you expect it to be any different to this ?
    you cannot get a excess negative charge on a plate connected to the battery positive ;)

Dave

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  6. Feb 5, 2015 #5
    Ok thank you. I thought that the capacitor plates should have + charge on one side and - on other side. May be i got confused.

7. Feb 5, 2015 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No Problems

Just consider that the negative charge on plate B is going to "drive off " ( repel) negative charges off plates A and C and thereby leaving them positively charged :)

Dave

8. Feb 5, 2015 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

keep up the learning and questions
    studying and learning about electronics and its related physics will keep you going for a lifetime
    I have been at it for 40+ years and there's still so much I don't know haha .... its just such a huge subject

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook