Three point charges in an equilateral triangle

In summary, the question is asking for the magnitude of the electric field at the midpoint between two equally spaced point charges on an equilateral triangle. The attempted solution was to use the equation E=Kq/r^2 and since the charges are the same and equally spaced, the sum of the forces was thought to be zero. However, the third charge at the opposite end of the triangle will contribute to an electric field at the midpoint. The distance between the vertex and the midpoint must be calculated to find the electric field.
Mugwump101

Homework Statement

I had this exam question for a final exam and I was wondering if I got it right or not. There are three point charges +4q equally spaced apart at the tips of an equilateral triangle with distance .11m apart from each other. What is the magnitude of the electric field at the MIDPOINT between any two charges?

I drew a picture on paint. It's not drawn to scale but it's what was on the exam.

Homework Equations

E=Kq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So basically, I thought the answer had to be zero. E1=-E2 kq/r^2=-kq/r^2 So the summation of the forces is zero because the charges are the same and they are the same distance apart!

However, people have been asking the TA and he says it's not zero, which makes me baffled o_O [PLAIN]http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/3060/physics0012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mugwump101 said:
So basically, I thought the answer had to be zero. E1=-E2 kq/r^2=-kq/r^2 So the summation of the forces is zero because the charges are the same and they are the same distance apart!
Well, the field from the two charges on either side of the midpoint will cancel. But what about that third charge at the opposite end of the triangle?

At mid point field due to the two charges at the end of the side is zero. But the field due to the third charge on the vertex there will be a field on the mid point. Find the distance between the vertex and the mid point and find the filled.

1. What is an equilateral triangle?

An equilateral triangle is a triangle with three equal sides and three equal angles. In other words, all three sides are the same length and all three angles are the same measure (60 degrees).

2. How many point charges are involved in a three point charge equilateral triangle?

As the name suggests, there are three point charges involved in a three point charge equilateral triangle. Each point charge is located at one of the three vertices (corners) of the triangle.

3. How do the point charges affect each other in an equilateral triangle?

The point charges in an equilateral triangle can either attract or repel each other, depending on their charges. If two charges have the same sign (both positive or both negative), they will repel each other. If two charges have opposite signs (one positive and one negative), they will attract each other.

4. What is the net force on each point charge in an equilateral triangle?

The net force on each point charge depends on the charges and their positions. If all three charges have the same magnitude (strength), the net force on each charge will be zero, as the forces from the other two charges will cancel out. If the charges have different magnitudes, the net force on each charge will be non-zero and will depend on the distances between the charges.

5. How can the net electric field at a point be calculated in an equilateral triangle?

To calculate the net electric field at a point in an equilateral triangle, you need to know the charges and their positions. Then, you can use the formula for electric field, which is E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance between the charge and the point. The net electric field at the point will be the vector sum of the individual electric fields from each point charge.