Calculating Speed & Max Height of Thrown Brick (Geoff Capes 1978)

• Thread starter physicsgurl12
  • Start date
In summary: That should give you an equation with "v" as the only unknown.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the initial speed of a brick thrown by Geoff Capes in a competition. The initial speed can be found by using the equations of motion, with x and y displacements at a given time being known. The equations used are x=v*cos(theta)*t and y=v*sin(theta) - 1/2*g*t^2. These equations will provide the value for "v", which is the initial speed of the brick. The conversation also mentions the possibility of throwing the brick straight up with the initial speed found, and finding the maximum height it could achieve, but this is not related to the initial question about
physicsgurl12

Homework Statement

In 1978, Geoff Capes of the United Kingdom won a competition for throwing 4.83 lb bricks; he threw a brick a distance of 44.99 m. Suppose the brick left Capes’ hand at an angle of 48.19o with respect to the horizontal and the bricks land at the same height he threw them from.

Find the initial speed of the brick.

If Capes threw the brick straight up with the speed found in (a), what is the maximum height the brick could achieve? (Ignore air resistance.)

2. Homework Equations
im kinda stuck here. [/COLOR]

3. The Attempt at a Solution
i can't find an equation![/COLOR][/COLOR]

Physics news on Phys.org
Although they'd be helpful, you don't need any odd equations. Just the standard ones will do:

vf=vi+at
x=vx*t
y=vy0*t + 1/2*a*t2

Call the initial speed "v", and write out the x and y displacements in terms of time. You know that the x displacement should be 44.99m and the y displacement should be 0, so you can eliminate the time and solve for v.

To solve part b, how long does it take an object traveling upwards at v to lose all of its speed? How far does the object travel during this time?

haha thes equations arn't what i would call standard. I am kinda confused as to what your trying to say.

We want to find the brick's initial speed, so call it v. The kinematic equations would read:
x=v*cos(theta)*t
y=v*sin(theta) - 1/2*g*t^2

You know that when at some time t, x=44.99 m and y=0, but you don't care about what that time is. So you can use those two equations to eliminate t and solve for v, which is what you're looking for.

BTW what kinematics equations are you used to?

ideasrule said:
We want to find the brick's initial speed, so call it v. The kinematic equations would read:
x=v*cos(theta)*t

You know that when at some time t, x=44.99 m and y=0, but you don't care about what that time is. So you can use those two equations to eliminate t and solve for v, which is what you're looking for.

BTW what kinematics equations are you used to?
okay i kinda see what your saying but were are you getting angles from??
m1v1i+m2v2i=m1v1f+m2v2f
m1vi1=m2vi2=(m1+m2)Vf
1/2m1v1i^2 + 1/2m2v2i^2 = 1/2m1v1f^2+1/2m2v2f^2

physicsgurl12 said:
okay i kinda see what your saying but were are you getting angles from??
m1v1i+m2v2i=m1v1f+m2v2f
m1vi1=m2vi2=(m1+m2)Vf
1/2m1v1i^2 + 1/2m2v2i^2 = 1/2m1v1f^2+1/2m2v2f^2

Are you sure you posted the right question? Those are conservation of momentum and conservation of energy equations, and have nothing to do with projectile motion.

ideasrule said:
Are you sure you posted the right question? Those are conservation of momentum and conservation of energy equations, and have nothing to do with projectile motion.

yes, i posted the right question, those are the only kinematic equations i know (atleast that i can remember at the moment)

physicsgurl12 said:
yes, i posted the right question, those are the only kinematic equations i know (atleast that i can remember at the moment)

They're not kinematic equations. They represent conservation of momentum and conservation of energy, and aren't related to the motion of a projectile in freefall.

Have you tried working with the equations I suggested?

x=v*cos(theta)*t

with the appropriate x and y values

Related to Calculating Speed & Max Height of Thrown Brick (Geoff Capes 1978)

1. How do you calculate the speed of a thrown brick?

The speed of a thrown brick can be calculated by dividing the distance the brick traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This is known as the average speed formula, which is speed = distance/time.

2. What units are used for measuring speed in this experiment?

The units used for measuring speed in this experiment are meters per second (m/s). This is a unit of measurement commonly used in physics and other sciences to measure speed or velocity.

3. Can the speed of a thrown brick change during flight?

Yes, the speed of a thrown brick can change during flight depending on various factors such as air resistance, wind, and the angle at which it is thrown. This is why it is important to calculate the average speed of the brick over a measured distance.

4. How do you calculate the maximum height of a thrown brick?

The maximum height of a thrown brick can be calculated using the formula: height = (initial velocity)^2 x (sin(angle)^2) / (2 x acceleration due to gravity). This formula takes into account the initial velocity of the brick, the angle at which it is thrown, and the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What is the significance of the 1978 Geoff Capes brick-throwing experiment?

The 1978 Geoff Capes brick-throwing experiment was significant because it helped to dispel the myth that bricks can be thrown as far as baseballs. Capes, a British strongman, was able to throw a brick a distance of 21 meters, much shorter than the average distance of a thrown baseball. This experiment also highlighted the importance of calculating the speed and maximum height of thrown objects in order to accurately compare their abilities.