Calculating Thrust & Initial Acceleration of Saturn V

In summary, the task involves calculating the thrust produced by the first stage of a Saturn V space vehicle, which consumes fuel at a rate of 47400 kg/s with an exhaust speed of 2820 m/s and experiences an acceleration of gravity of 9.8 m/s^2. The solution requires dividing the thrust by the mass of the fuel and subtracting the acceleration due to gravity to find the initial acceleration of the vehicle on the launch pad, which is 2.3 m/s^2.
Amber_

Homework Statement

The first stage of a Saturn V space vehicle
consumes fuel at the rate of 47400 kg/s, with
an exhaust speed of 2820 m/s.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
Calculate the thrust produced by these en-
gines.
Answer in units of N.

(part 2 of 2) 10.0 points
Note: You must include the force of gravity.
Find the initial acceleration of the vehicle
on the launch pad if its initial mass is 1.1 ×
107 kg.
Answer in units of m/s2.

Homework Equations

vrel*r= ma = thrust

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part, I got 133668000 N, which is right. For the second part I divided the answer to the first part by the given mass. I got 12.51 m/s^2. Then to account for the acceleration of gravity, I subtracted 9.81 m/s^2 and got 2.3 m/s^2. However, that's not the correct answer. What am I doing wrong here? Can I not substract accelerations like that? It seems to me, I should be able to-- They're vector quantities acting in opposite directions.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to formulate the expression using Newton's 2nd Law. You'd need to divide by the mass of the fuel to get its acceleration.

ma=Thrust-mg, find 'a'.

1. How is thrust calculated for the Saturn V rocket?

The thrust of the Saturn V rocket is calculated by multiplying the average exhaust velocity of the rocket's engines by the mass flow rate of the propellant being burned.

2. What is the initial acceleration of the Saturn V rocket?

The initial acceleration of the Saturn V rocket is approximately 9.8 m/s², which is the standard acceleration due to gravity on Earth. However, this value may vary slightly depending on the weight of the rocket and its payload.

3. How is the mass flow rate of the propellant determined?

The mass flow rate of the propellant is determined by dividing the total weight of the propellant by the burn time of the engines. This information is typically provided by the rocket's manufacturer.

4. What factors affect the thrust and initial acceleration of the Saturn V rocket?

The thrust and initial acceleration of the Saturn V rocket are affected by various factors such as the weight of the rocket and its payload, the efficiency of the engines, and the atmospheric conditions during launch.

5. Can the thrust and initial acceleration of the Saturn V rocket be modified?

Yes, the thrust and initial acceleration of the Saturn V rocket can be modified by adjusting the design of the engines or by using different types of propellant with higher exhaust velocities.