Making a Wind Tunnel for Education - Engineering Project

In summary, for the challenge of making an educational wind tunnel, using a smoke generator or attaching tiny streamers or flags to the object can help show streamlines and make the project more visually understandable. These streamers or flags are small strips of flexible material that will move with the airstream and can be adjusted for accuracy.
R Power
Hi friends
I am a mechaincal engg. student and I asked yesterday my professor of fluid mechanics that there should be a educational wind tunnel in our laboratory to understand concepts of streamlines, lift and drag better and visually. He replied me with a challenge that I should make such a thing which even can be one of my projects.
Now I can make the casing covering of transparent glass fibre, setup to hold the shape to be analysed and can attach a fan for wind and everything else but the main problem is of streamlines. How can I show them? I mean what to mix with air to show streamlines. How to show them? Can anyone help please? I have to make that thing!
Thanx in advance very much! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll want a smoke generator of some sort, such as an incense stick.

Another way is to attach tiny streamers or flags to the object in the tunnel.

Another way is to attach tiny streamers or flags to the object in the tunnel
what are tiny streamers or flags. can you explain a bit more?

Little strips of light-weight and flexible cloth or paper or string (wool yarn is good).

They string out in the tunnel airstream like a windsock in the breeze at an airfield or a flag at the back of a ship.

A little experimentation with the fixing method

1. How does a wind tunnel work?

A wind tunnel is a device that produces a controlled stream of air to simulate the effects of wind on objects. It works by using a fan to push air through a long, narrow tube. The air flows past a model or object placed in the tunnel, creating the same conditions that would be experienced in real-life wind.

2. What materials are needed to make a wind tunnel?

To make a simple wind tunnel for educational purposes, you will need a fan, cardboard or plastic tubes, a power supply, and a solid base to mount the tunnel on. Optional materials include a speed controller, smoke or fog machine to visualize airflow, and various objects to test in the tunnel.

3. What is the purpose of a wind tunnel in education?

A wind tunnel is a valuable tool for teaching students about aerodynamics, fluid mechanics, and engineering principles. It allows for hands-on exploration and experimentation with different objects and their responses to wind. It also helps students understand the importance of wind resistance and how it affects the design of various structures and vehicles.

4. How can I use a wind tunnel for a science fair project?

A wind tunnel can be used for various science fair projects, such as studying the effects of wind on different shapes and sizes of objects, investigating the principles of lift and drag, or testing the aerodynamics of different vehicle designs. It can also be used to compare the performance of various materials in wind, such as different types of fabric or building materials.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a wind tunnel?

Yes, it is important to take some safety precautions when using a wind tunnel. Make sure the fan is properly secured and do not touch it while it is in operation. Avoid placing any objects near the fan or in the path of the airflow. If using a fog or smoke machine, make sure it is placed in a well-ventilated area. It is also recommended to wear safety goggles to protect your eyes from any debris that may be blown around by the airflow.