1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thw wind tunnel making!

1. Mar 17, 2010 #1
    Hi friends
    I am a mechaincal engg. student and I asked yesterday my professor of fluid mechanics that there should be a educational wind tunnel in our laboratory to understand concepts of streamlines, lift and drag better and visually. He replied me with a challenge that I should make such a thing which even can be one of my projects.
    Now I can make the casing covering of transparent glass fibre, setup to hold the shape to be analysed and can attach a fan for wind and everything else but the main problem is of streamlines. How can I show them? I mean what to mix with air to show streamlines. How to show them? Can anyone help please? I have to make that thing!
    Thanx in advance very much! :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

You'll want a smoke generator of some sort, such as an incense stick.
  4. Mar 17, 2010 #3
    Another way is to attach tiny streamers or flags to the object in the tunnel.
  5. Mar 18, 2010 #4
    what are tiny streamers or flags. can you explain a bit more?
  6. Mar 18, 2010 #5
    Little strips of light-weight and flexible cloth or paper or string (wool yarn is good).

They string out in the tunnel airstream like a windsock in the breeze at an airfield or a flag at the back of a ship.

A little experimentation with the fixing method
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook