Solving Definite Integrals with a TI-83 Plus

In summary, To solve definite integrals using a Ti-83 plus calculator, first graph the function and then go to the math menu and use the integral command to input the lower and upper bounds. However, it is not possible to do indefinite integrals using this calculator. An alternative method is to go to the Y= menu and set a function into Y1, then use the fnInt function at the home screen to input the function, variable, and bounds without having to graph it.
ProBasket
does anyone know how to solve definite integrals using a Ti-83 plus? my teacher said it's okay to use it to check your answer during a test, so if you know how, please let me know.

also, is it possible to do indefinite integrals using ti-83 plus calculator?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's possible to do definite integrals, but not indefinite.

First you must graph the function you want to take the integral of. Then, while you're in the graphing screen, go to the math menu. In there is the integral command, and it'll ask you for the lower bound and upper bound for the integral. Note that both of these must be within the graphing window.

--J

I have a Ti83plus, it doesn't do indefinite integral...

Since you make me actually find my 83 from the giant stack of crap on my desk...

Go to the Y= menu, set a function into Y1. Then, press 2nd / TRACE (CALC) / 7: [itex]\int [/itex]f(x)dx. It will take you to the graphing screen and ask you for the boundaries. Put them in, and it spits out the answer at the bottom of the screen.

--J

Justin Lazear said:
Since you make me actually find my 83 from the giant stack of crap on my desk...

Go to the Y= menu, set a function into Y1. Then, press 2nd / TRACE (CALC) / 7: [itex]\int [/itex]f(x)dx. It will take you to the graphing screen and ask you for the boundaries. Put them in, and it spits out the answer at the bottom of the screen.

--J
perfect! thanks

There's an easier way, without having to graph it. At the home screen go to MATH > 9:fnInt. Then type out the function *comma* variable to integrate wrt *comma* lower limit *comma* upper limit *end parentheses* *ENTER*.
Example:
fnInt(x^3+6x^2+2x,X,2,5)

What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve between two points on a graph. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is calculated by taking the limit of a sum of infinitely small rectangles under the curve.

What is the TI-83 Plus calculator?

The TI-83 Plus is a graphing calculator commonly used in high school and college math and science classes. It is manufactured by Texas Instruments and can perform various calculations, graph functions, and solve equations.

How do I use the TI-83 Plus to solve definite integrals?

To solve a definite integral on the TI-83 Plus, you can use the "fnInt" function. First, enter the function you want to integrate into the "Y=" menu. Then, go to the "fnInt" function under the "MATH" menu and input the function, the variable, and the lower and upper bounds. Press enter and the calculator will give you the value of the definite integral.

Can the TI-83 Plus solve all types of definite integrals?

The TI-83 Plus can only solve definite integrals that have an analytical solution, meaning it can be expressed using a finite combination of elementary functions. It cannot solve integrals that require advanced techniques such as integration by parts or substitution.

Can I use the TI-83 Plus to check my work when solving definite integrals?

Yes, the TI-83 Plus can be used to check your work when solving definite integrals. You can compare the value given by the calculator to the one you calculated by hand to check for errors. Keep in mind that the calculator may round its answer, so there may be a slight difference in the values.