How can I keep my calculations in exact form on the TI-89?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with keeping calculations in exact form on the TI-89's Stats/List Editor. The person has tried using the Math function and changing the settings, but it still shows the results in decimal form. They are looking for a solution or alternative program to obtain the exact forms of the calculations.
Poisonous

Homework Statement

I've been trying, with no success, for the past few hours to find a way to keep calculations done in the TI-89's "Stats/List Editor" in exact form instead of decimal. For example, when I enter the following information:

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4061/prob1y.jpg

I get:

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/2123/prob2y.jpg

Where I want p1_hat to be 22/36, p2_hat to be 20/23, etc..

The Attempt at a Solution

I know in the older TI's you could do something like, Math->exact->p1_hat, and it would give it to you, but if I do Math->numbers->exact()->exact(statvars\p1_hat) I get the following:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9542/prob3.jpg

If you know of a way or another program that I can download to get the exact forms, I'd be very grateful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
press "mode" and change the "Exact/Approx" setting from "Auto" to "Exact". Then re-input your data.

I've tried it. It doesn't work with the stats/list editor :(

Huh. It did for me.

Well, the infomation that I enter shows in exact form, but the calculated information is still is approximte. The p1_hat, for example, still shows as .6111111111.

1. What is the TI-89 calculator and how is it used for statistics?

The TI-89 is a graphing calculator commonly used in mathematics and science courses. It has many functions and features that make it useful for statistical analysis, such as the ability to graph data, calculate regression lines and perform various statistical tests.

2. How do I access the statistics functions on the TI-89 calculator?

To access the statistics functions on the TI-89, press the "Apps" button and select "Data/Matrix Editor." From there, you can access the different statistical tools by selecting "Stats" from the menu.

3. Can I input data directly into the TI-89 calculator?

Yes, you can input data directly into the calculator by using the Data/Matrix Editor. You can enter data manually or import data from a spreadsheet or other source.

4. What types of statistical tests can the TI-89 calculator perform?

The TI-89 calculator can perform a variety of statistical tests, including t-tests, ANOVA, chi-square tests, and regression analysis. It also has functions for calculating descriptive statistics such as mean, median, and standard deviation.

5. Is the TI-89 calculator allowed on standardized tests?

The TI-89 calculator is not allowed on most standardized tests, such as the SAT or ACT. However, it is typically allowed on AP exams and some college entrance exams. It is important to check the rules and regulations of the specific exam before using a calculator.