TI-Nspire CX -- How to change the format of answer?

  • Topic: Calculators 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ProfuselyQuarky
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Change Format
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 21K views
ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
Messages
857
Reaction score
588
Does anyone know how to change the format of the answers given in the scratchpad? For example, when converting degrees to radians, ##177^{\circ}(\frac{\pi}{180})##, I want the calculator to give me ##\frac{59\pi}{60}## instead of 3.08923. Any help would be appreciated! This has been really annoying me...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on how your calculator works. What happens when you input [itex]\pi[/itex]?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky
mathman said:
It depends on how your calculator works. What happens when you input [itex]\pi[/itex]?
I get 3.14159. And, of course, I can change the decimal places given with settings.
 
Psinter said:
I don't have this calculator, but a quick search revealed some answers:

If your is not CAS you can do it as it says here:

If it is CAS you can do it as it says here by choosing Exact Mode.

Here is a preview of difference between CAS and not CAS: https://education.ti.com/en/us/prod...held/tabs/overview#lightbox=nspire-cas-noncas
Thanks @Psinter I tried that already. However, instead of ##\frac {59\pi}{60}##, I get ##\frac {5949124}{1925761}##.

Yeah, I didn't get CAS because CAS is "computer algebra systems" and it's not allowed in major tests like the SAT whereas the CX is...
 
ProfuselyQuarky said:
However, instead of 59π60\frac {59\pi}{60}, I get 59491241925761\frac {5949124}{1925761}.
To add to that, ##\frac {5949124}{1925761}## is just ugly and I first thought it had to do with radians (not sure why), but no.
 
A quick search revealed: https://tiplanet.org/forum/archives_voir.php?id=1884&play=

If you check the gif sequence of screenshots you see that for [itex]cos^{-1}(-\frac{1}{2})[/itex] it gives the result in exact form [itex]\frac{2\pi}{3}[/itex] and in approximate form 2.09...

It is in another language though.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky
Psinter said:
A quick search revealed: https://tiplanet.org/forum/archives_voir.php?id=1884&play=

If you check the gif sequence of screenshots you see that for [itex]cos^{-1}(-\frac{1}{2})[/itex] it gives the result in exact form [itex]\frac{2\pi}{3}[/itex] and in approximate form 2.09...

It is in another language though.
You know, forums like that just make me appreciate PF so much more :smile:

Thanks for the link, Psinter, although it does not really show how to change the settings. I think I just have to do resort to doing those conversions with paper and pen. It's shame, though. For the price its worth, you'd think that the thing would clean for you.
 
ProfuselyQuarky said:
You know, forums like that just make me appreciate PF so much more :smile:

Thanks for the link, Psinter, although it does not really show how to change the settings. I think I just have to do resort to doing those conversions with paper and pen. It's shame, though. For the price its worth, you'd think that the thing would clean for you.
I think that's because it's a library that you load there, not something that becomes part of the operating system. But once again, I don't have that calc. I think the gif shows how to make it work.
ProfuselyQuarky said:
:DD

(sorry, I just love that redundancy)
Meh, that happens. :biggrin:
 
Psinter said:
I think that's because it's a library that you load there, not something that becomes part of the operating system. But once again, I don't have that calc. I think the gif shows how to make it work.
Ok, I'll look into it more. The Spanish made me dizzy...