Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators TI-Nspire CX -- How to change the format of answer?

Tags:
  1. Apr 1, 2016 #1

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Does anyone know how to change the format of the answers given in the scratchpad? For example, when converting degrees to radians, ##177^{\circ}(\frac{\pi}{180})##, I want the calculator to give me ##\frac{59\pi}{60}## instead of 3.08923. Any help would be appreciated! This has been really annoying me...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2016 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It depends on how your calculator works. What happens when you input [itex]\pi[/itex]?

4. Apr 1, 2016 #3
  5. Apr 2, 2016 #4

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I get 3.14159. And, of course, I can change the decimal places given with settings.

6. Apr 2, 2016 #5

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thanks @Psinter I tried that already. However, instead of ##\frac {59\pi}{60}##, I get ##\frac {5949124}{1925761}##.

Yeah, I didn't get CAS because CAS is "computer algebra systems" and it's not allowed in major tests like the SAT whereas the CX is...

7. Apr 3, 2016 #6

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

To add to that, ##\frac {5949124}{1925761}## is just ugly and I first thought it had to do with radians (not sure why), but no.

8. Apr 4, 2016 #7

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Nobody knows how? :(

9. Apr 4, 2016 #8
    A quick search revealed: https://tiplanet.org/forum/archives_voir.php?id=1884&play=

If you check the gif sequence of screenshots you see that for [itex]cos^{-1}(-\frac{1}{2})[/itex] it gives the result in exact form [itex]\frac{2\pi}{3}[/itex] and in approximate form 2.09....

It is in another language though.

10. Apr 4, 2016 #9

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You know, forums like that just make me appreciate PF so much more :smile:

Thanks for the link, Psinter, although it does not really show how to change the settings. I think I just have to do resort to doing those conversions with paper and pen. It's shame, though. For the price its worth, you'd think that the thing would clean for you.

11. Apr 4, 2016 #10

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

12. Apr 4, 2016 #11
    I think that's because it's a library that you load there, not something that becomes part of the operating system. But once again, I don't have that calc. I think the gif shows how to make it work.
    Meh, that happens. :biggrin:

13. Apr 4, 2016 #12

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ok, I'll look into it more. The Spanish made me dizzy...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted