How Much Heat is Added or Removed in the Reaction of TiCl4 with O2?

In summary, the question is asking how much heat is added or removed when a feed of TiCl4 and O2 at 600 degrees is fed into a reactor and the product is 1500 degrees. The solution involves finding the enthalpies of the reactants at 600 degrees and the products at 1500 degrees and calculating the difference. This can be done by integrating the Cp formula for each component and using the corresponding temperatures. It is important to also consider the enthalpies of O2 and 2Cl2 at their respective temperatures.
sero2000

Homework Statement

If a feed of TiCl4 and O2 at 600 degrees is fed into a reactor and the product is 1500 degrees, how much heat is added or removed?

Homework Equations

Cp = A + BT + C/T^2 + DT^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to find the heat of reaction for the whole process previously as well as the heat of formation for TiCL4 at 1500degrees. I am kind of stuck from here though.

Do i integrate the Cp eqn again with T1 as 1500 and T2 as 600?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Sero,
Apparently you do have a reaction taking place. That's a few equations too. Could you post them ?
And if you want to do something with the Cps: which component has which Cp ?
In ChE there are all kinds of reactors. Any idea what we are looking at here ?

The reaction is TiCl4 + O2 --> TiO2 + 2 Cl2

You need to get the enthalpies of the reactants at 600 C and the enthalpies of the products at 1500 C. Do you know how to do that?

Chet

Oh ok i get it! so It's just integration of the Cp formula for TiCl4 with T2 at 600 degrees and T1 at standard temp and i do the same for TiO2 except instead of 600 i use 1500 then i find the difference.

sero2000 said:
Oh ok i get it! so It's just integration of the Cp formula for TiCl4 with T2 at 600 degrees and T1 at standard temp and i do the same for TiO2 except instead of 600 i use 1500 then i find the difference.

Don't forget that you need to do O2 and 2Cl2 also, since, even though their heats of formation at standard temp are zero, you need to consider O2 at 600 and 2Cl2 at 1500.

chet

FAQ: How Much Heat is Added or Removed in the Reaction of TiCl4 with O2?

1. What is the chemical formula for TiCl4 and O2?

The chemical formula for TiCl4 is titanium tetrachloride and the chemical formula for O2 is oxygen.

2. What is the thermodynamic stability of TiCl4 and O2?

TiCl4 is a stable compound at room temperature and pressure. O2 is also a stable compound at room temperature and pressure.

3. How do TiCl4 and O2 interact with each other?

TiCl4 and O2 can react with each other to form titanium dioxide (TiO2) and chlorine gas (Cl2).

4. What is the enthalpy change for the reaction between TiCl4 and O2?

The enthalpy change for the reaction between TiCl4 and O2 depends on the specific conditions of the reaction, such as temperature and pressure. However, in general, the reaction is exothermic, meaning it releases energy.

5. What is the role of TiCl4 and O2 in industrial processes?

TiCl4 and O2 are commonly used in the production of titanium dioxide, which is a white pigment used in a variety of industrial applications such as paints, coatings, and plastics. They are also used in the production of other titanium compounds and in the purification of metals.

Back