Tightening torque requirement for screws with washers

• Thread starter gnurf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the use of flat washers does not significantly impact the required tightening torque of a M4 socket head cap screw. While washers serve various purposes, such as acting as spacers and distributing load, the torque is primarily determined by the threads and their contact. However, for special applications, it may be necessary to test the effects of washers on torque. For general use, it is recommended to follow torque tables, such as the one provided by Portland Bolt. It is important to know the grade of the bolts in order to accurately determine the appropriate torque.
gnurf
Does the use of one or more flat washers change the required tightening torque of e.g. a M4 socket head cap screw?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Washers serve multiple purposes - as spacers, to distribute the load across the material, to keep nuts tight (lock washers), etc.

But the torque is primarily determined by the threads and their contact. I don't see that the washer would affect this, but for special applications you could test this - such as structural bolts.

But for ordinary things you can just follow the recommended torque tables.

For example: http://www.portlandbolt.com/technicalinformation/bolt-torque-chart.html

I could only find a PDF with a table that contains M4, but it does including the bolt grades.
http://www.boltsupply.com/catalogue_files/catalog_data/toc_data/pdf/019.pdf

I take it you know what grade the bolts are that you are asking about? (8,8, 10.9 etc).

1. What is tightening torque and why is it important for screws with washers?

Tightening torque is the amount of force applied to a screw to secure it in place. It is important for screws with washers because it ensures that the screw is securely fastened and prevents it from loosening or falling out.

2. How do I determine the tightening torque requirement for a specific screw with a washer?

The tightening torque requirement for a screw with a washer can be determined by consulting the manufacturer's specifications or by using a torque wrench to apply the recommended torque value based on the size and material of the screw and washer.

3. Can I use the same tightening torque for all screws with washers?

No, the tightening torque requirement may vary depending on the size, material, and application of the screw and washer. It is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications or use a torque wrench to ensure the correct amount of torque is applied.

4. What happens if I over-tighten or under-tighten a screw with a washer?

If a screw with a washer is over-tightened, it can damage the screw, washer, and the material it is being fastened to. Under-tightening can result in the screw not being securely fastened and potentially loosening or falling out. It is important to follow the recommended tightening torque to ensure proper installation.

5. Can I use a power tool to tighten screws with washers instead of a torque wrench?

While power tools can be efficient for tightening screws with washers, they may not provide the same level of precision as a torque wrench. It is recommended to use a torque wrench to ensure the correct amount of force is applied and to prevent damage to the screw, washer, and surrounding materials.